What is Genomics?
Genomics is a branch of molecular biology which involves the study of the structure, function, evolution, and mapping of genomes. It applies sequencing methods and bioinformatics to sequence, assemble, and analyze the function and structure of the genome of an organism. Genomics is widely used in diagnostics, personalized medicine, animal and agricultural research, forensics, fishery, and aquaculture research, among others.
The global genomics market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 19% to $ 54,356.6 Mn in 2025 from $ 22,740.5 Mn in 2020. Critical driving factors for the genomics market include the growing government funding to support genomics projects, increasing incidences of cancer and NGS applications in cancer research, growth in number of players and startups in genomics market, and demand for genomics applications.
Based on products & service, the genomics market is segmented into consumables, systems & software, and services. In 2019, consumables accounted for the largest share of the genomics market. Consumables are used in large numbers in genomics systems, and their use will continue to increase with the growing number of genomic tests performed across the globe. This is a key factor driving the market growth. Based on technology, the genomics market is segmented into sequencing technologies, PCR, nucleic acid extraction and purification, microarrays, and other technologies. Based on application, the genomics market is segmented into drug discovery and development, diagnostics, agriculture and animal research, and other applications. Based on end users the genomics market is segmented into hospitals & clinics, research centers and academic & government institutes, pharmaceutical & biotechnology companies, and other end users.
Top Visionary Leaders in Genomics market
- Illumina- Illumina sells its products in a variety of markets to ensure that its genomics solutions are widely used in research and clinical contexts. Academic, government, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, Agri genomics, and other major genomic research organizations use the company's services for a wide range of applications.
- Qiagen- QIAGEN N.V. is a German company that develops molecular sample and assay technologies for molecular diagnostics, application testing, academic research, and pharmaceutical development.
- Thermo Fisher- Thermo Fisher Scientific has a unique portfolio of genomic solutions, including next-generation sequencing (NGS), real-time PCR, Sanger sequencing, and microarrays, that span a wide variety of technologies.
- Agilent- Agilent provides platforms and related products that are technologically advanced and innovative. Diagnostics, biological sciences, and applied chemical markets are all served by the company's products.
- Roche- Roche's nanopore sequencer is a unique way of sequencing DNA that combines electronic and biological components for quick, flexible, and low-cost clinical diagnostic testing.
Top Dynamic Differentiators in Genomics market
- Promega- Promega’s products are used in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries to discover new drugs to fight disease, clinical and molecular diagnostics laboratories to detect disease and determine therapies, forensics and paternity laboratories.
- Eppendorf- Eppendorf produces tools and consumables for liquid, sample, and cell handling. The company's products include automated pipetting systems, dispensers, centrifuges, spectrometers, DNA amplification equipment, ultra-low temperature freezers, fermentors, bioreactors, CO2 incubators, shakers, and cell manipulation systems.
Top Innovators in Genomics software market
- Eurofins- Eurofins Scientific is a global life sciences firm that offers a diverse range of analytical testing services to a variety of industries and governments, including the pharmaceutical, food, environmental, agriscience, and consumer products industries.
- Merck- Merck is the healthcare and life science company that develops, manufactures, and markets pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical products. The company offers consumables such as kits and reagents for genomic analysis through its research solutions subsegment.
- Danaher- Danaher is a global science and technology company dedicated to assisting clients in overcoming complex challenges and increasing the global quality of life. Danaher IDT produces diagnostic tests for a variety of cancers as well as the majority of hereditary and infectious disorders.
- Oxford Nanopore- Oxford Nanopore Technologies Limited is a company that creates and sells nanopore sequencing technologies (such as the MinION portable DNA sequencer) for the direct, electrical study of single molecules. Nanopore sequencing products are designed to analyze DNA, RNA, proteins, and tiny molecules for a variety of applications including customized medicine, agricultural science, and scientific research.
Top Emerging Companies in Genomics software market
- Source Bioscience- Source BioScience offers a comprehensive portfolio of genomic services, on a variety of prominent platforms. Its capabilities include Sanger sequencing, Next-generation sequencing, Microarray analysis, Genotyping, and Bioinformatics.
- NEB- New England Biolabs manufactures and distributes recombinant and native enzyme reagents for biomedical research, as well as genome editing, synthetic biology, and next-generation sequencing solutions.
- Macrogen- Macrogen Inc. is a public biotechnology business established in Korea that specializes in customized transgenic and other biomedical research services. The company is divided into four divisions: deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) sequencing, DNA chips, transgenic and knockout mouse divisions, and oligonucleotide DNA divisions.
- Bionano- Bionano Genomics Inc is a genome analysis firm that offers scientists and doctors undertaking genetic research and patient testing tools and services based on its Saphyr technology.
- Creative Biogene- Creative Biogene is a genomics and proteomics product and service supplier for university and governmental research organizations, as well as the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industries, based in the United States.
Products in Genomics software market
The genomics market is highly consolidated with several players offering genomics systems & software, consumables & services. The player ranking for this market was derived based on the several aspects such as recent market developments, brand image, product portfolios, and geographic presence.
Top Genomics Companies
- Thermo Fisher
Rising government financing to aid genomics projects
Governments in a number of nations have made considerable investments in genomics in recent years. These government investments have aided the development of new technology significantly. Here are some examples of recent developments in this area:
- The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) launched the "Genome India Project" in January 2020. (GIP). The goal of the initiative is to collect 10,000 genetic samples from Indian residents in order to create a reference genome. Precision health, rare genetic illnesses, the mutation spectrum of genetic and complex diseases in the Indian population, genetic epidemiology of multifactorial lifestyle diseases, and translational research are some of the areas of attention for this project.
- In September 2019, a USD 224 million whole-genome sequencing initiative was launched, bringing together pharmaceutical companies and health professionals to investigate and decode the genetic code of 500,000 volunteers at the UK Biobank in Stockport, UK. The goal of the project is to enhance health via genetic research and to improve the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of a variety of serious and life-threatening disorders, including as cancer, heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, and dementia.
Growing incidence of cancer and increasing applications of next-generation sequencing in cancer research
Cancer is among the leading causes of death worldwide. Increasing lifestyle changes, high levels of industrial and environmental pollution, and the inadvertent entry of chemicals into the human food chain are factors that are causing an alarming rise in cancer incidence. The combination of NGS and advanced computational data analysis approaches has revolutionized the understanding of the genomic underpinnings of cancer development and progression.
Use of V2G EV charging station for electric vehicles
The V2G technology enables EVs to store unused power and discharge it to the grid. This can improve the electrical component’s performance and add value for EV owners. The introduction of this concept has eased EV charging station operations and made them the most preferred mode of transportation. Thus, the entire electric vehicle charging station market plays a vital role in the connection of the grid to the electric vehicle to enable charging of the vehicle.
High cost of genomic equipment
Genomic instruments are equipped with advanced features and functionalities and are thus high priced. Pharmaceutical companies and research laboratories require many such systems, owing to which significant investments are required for procuring multiple, high-cost genomic instruments.
Lack of skilled professionals
Data from genomics can be used for a variety of purposes, including pharmacogenomics, diagnostics, and toxicogenomics. The analysis of massive amounts of data generated in genomics research, on the other hand, is a serious difficulty. In some circumstances, technical improvements have made it possible for the instruments in use to give an analysis; nonetheless, the reader's interpretation is still up to them. It is vital to recruit skilled professionals to evaluate and interpret the outcomes of genome sequencing data due to the intricacies involved and the requirement for in-depth understanding in the field of genomics. However, due to a scarcity of qualified individuals, a number of end users are having difficulty processing genomic data.
360 Quadrants Research Methodology
Top Genomics companies are rated using the following methodology -
- A highly experienced team of researchers and senior analysts conduct extensive research to generate a list of vendors (competitors).
- A patent-pending algorithm is used to collect inputs from key stakeholders—industry experts, buyers, vendors, and 360Quadrants analysts—based on criteria for Product Maturity and Company Maturity.
- Criteria under Product Maturity include breadth and depth of product offering, product features, and functionalities, focus on product innovation, and customer value.
- Criteria under Company Maturity include geographical footprint, partner ecosystem, sectors, and viability.
- Approximately 80+ in-depth parameters will be considered for research for the Genomics companies market. These parameters will be updated every 6 months to ensure latest developments are taken into consideration.
- A weight is assigned to each stakeholder based on information gathered pertaining to the above criteria as well as inputs from stakeholders. These inputs follow the order of priority given below:
- Industry Experts
- 360Quadrants Analysts
- Vendors (Competitors)
- The inputs are analyzed, and a final rating is assigned to each vendor (competitor).
- After the finalization of ratings, each vendor is placed in the most relevant quadrant based on their score.
Best Genomics Software Companies in 2022
Include analysis from
Customised Quadrant For This Market
Comparing 27 vendors in Genomics across 83 criteria.
Illumina is a molecular diagnostics firm that creates, manufactures, and sells integrated systems and consumables for analyzing genetic variants and biological functions. Because of its highly superior and creative platforms and accompanying products, Illumina is one of the top companies in the genomics market. The company sells both instruments and consumables, such as DNA sequencing systems, informatics suites, and array scanners (including flow cells, reagents, and microarrays). Illumina's services range also includes sequencing and genotyping services.
Thermo Fisher Scientific has a unique portfolio of genomic solutions, including next-generation sequencing (NGS), real-time PCR, Sanger sequencing, and microarrays, that span a wide variety of technologies. Through a variety of innovative solutions and technologies, it gives you more control over your laboratory. The company offers both the tools and the experience to help you grow your molecular testing solutions for faster, more accurate, and actionable findings at lower per-test costs. Oncology, infectious disease, reproductive health, genetic disease, and other clinical research tests are among its solutions.
QIAGEN provides insight into solutions for molecular diagnostics and life sciences. It is a sample technology provider for the academic research sector. Sample technologies from the company are used to collect tissue, fluids, and other cellular components, as well as stabilize, extract, and purify various molecules of interest like DNA, RNA, and proteins. Sample and test technologies, customized automation solutions, and a bioinformatics analysis portfolio are all part of QIAGEN's current product portfolio.
Roche's nanopore sequencer is a unique way of sequencing DNA that combines electronic and biological components for quick, flexible, and low-cost clinical diagnostic testing. In personalized healthcare and clinical diagnostics, genomic insights gained by sequencing an individual's DNA are crucial. Roche's cutting-edge diagnostics solution helps patients with the most difficult clinical conditions by using approaches that are customized to their genetic and illness profiles.
Agilent provides a wide range of high-quality workflow solutions for genomics applications. Diagnostics and Genomics is a business unit of Agilent Technologies that covers five business areas: genomics, nucleic acid contract manufacturing, pathology, companion diagnostics, and reagent partnership businesses. The Agilent Accredited Service Provider Program, which intends to build a network of certified genomics service providers, is also available.
Bio-Rad Laboratories develops and sells a variety of products and systems for use in life science research, healthcare, analytical chemistry, and other industries. Separating, purifying, and identifying biological elements such as nucleic acids, proteins, and bacteria are all done with these products. The company specializes in genetics, proteomics, cell biology, biopharmaceutical manufacturing, and food safety. The company's Clinical Diagnostics business produces, sells, and supports test systems, test kits, informatics systems, and specialized quality controls for clinical laboratories in the global diagnostics industry.
Promega Corporation is a biotechnology and molecular biology enzyme and other product company with a portfolio that includes genomics, protein analysis, expression, cellular analysis, drug discovery, and genetic identification. Promega develops testing kits and researches treatment solutions for research, pharmaceutical, and diagnostics labs.
In laboratories all over the world, Eppendorf produces tools and consumables for liquid, sample, and cell handling. The company's products include automated pipetting systems, dispensers, centrifuges, spectrometers, DNA amplification equipment, ultra-low temperature freezers, fermentors, bioreactors, CO2 incubators, shakers, and cell manipulation systems, as well as ultra-low temperature freezers, fermentors, bioreactors, CO2 incubators, shakers, and cell manipulation systems. Pipette tips, test tubes, microtiter plates, and single-use bioreactor containers are among the highest-quality premium consumables available.
BGI Genomics is China’s largest genome sequencing service provider. Its services and solutions are available in more than 60 countries. The company focuses on providing genomics services for research and applications in various fields, including biopharma, agricultural and animal research, clinical diagnostics, environmental fields, and precision medicine. BGI offers its solutions to address the needs of research, pharmaceutical, and clinical markets.
Merck is one of the world's largest pharmaceutical companies. Around 250 enterprises make up the organization, which is present in 66 countries. Every day, Merck makes a difference in the lives of millions of people. Merck is everywhere, from developing gene-editing technologies to discovering novel methods to cure the world's most difficult diseases to enabling the intelligence of machines. Merck develops and distributes tailored therapies for critical diseases, assisting in the creation, improvement, and extension of life.
Eurofins Scientific provides entire genomic solutions for the pharmaceutical, diagnostics, biotechnological, and research markets around the world, including DNA sequencing, genotyping, DNA synthesis products, and bioinformatics services. Its one-of-a-kind custom-based analytical testing services serve the areas of analysis, research, and development throughout the medication development and manufacturing process.
IDT and Danaher collaborate to produce high-value genomics consumables for molecular biology, qPCR, next-generation sequencing, synthetic biology, gene editing, and molecular diagnostics. Unique DNA and RNA oligonucleotides are produced by the corporation for academic and biopharmaceutical research, as well as for biotechnology, agriculture, clinical diagnostics, and pharmaceutical development.
The latest generation of sequencing technology from Oxford Nanopore Technologies is the only one that can scale to portable or ultra-high-throughput formats, deliver real-time data, and reveal rich biological data. Its technology provides real-time analysis for quick insights in completely scalable forms ranging from the pocket to the population scale, and it is used all around the world. The electronics-based DNA/RNA sequencing technique developed by Oxford Nanopore is employed in a variety of biological research applications, including large-scale human genomics, cancer research, microbiology, plant science, and environmental research.
Source BioScience is a company established in the United Kingdom that specializes in DNA sequencing, genomic services, bioinformatic studies, and a wide range of genomic reagents and antibodies. Healthcare diagnostic services, Genomics, Stability storage solutions, COVID-19 Antigen PCR Testing, Blood & Serology Serology, and Life Science goods are among the markets served by the company.
Macrogen specializes in providing customized transgenic and other biological research services. The company is a pioneer in precision medicine and biotechnology, offering a variety of high-quality DNA sequencing services (NGS, CES), COVID-19 test kits and on-site testing labs, as well as personal health services based on personal genome sequencing and gut microbiome testing. In 153 countries, Macrogen serves over 18,000 customers from academic research and industry.
Creative Biogene is a scientific research client service and solution provider with a global reach. For gene delivery and gene knockdown services, the company develops, manufactures, and purifies recombinant adenoviruses, adeno-associated virus (AAV), and lentivirus. Its gene delivery and gene knockdown services meet the complete range of biotechnology requirements for early drug discovery and development.
New England Biolabs (NEB) is a global pioneer in the development, commercialization, and discovery of genomic research reagents. The company is dedicated to creating cutting-edge products in the biological sciences. NEB is concentrating on fortifying collaborations that will allow new technologies to reach crucial commercial sectors, such as the development of molecular diagnostics.
Bionano Genomics Inc. provides unique nanochannel chips, an automated imaging device, integrated primary and secondary software, and application-specific reagents to help people all over the world enhance their quality of life. The Bionano Genomics platform examines the structural differences in large segments of genomic DNA and other macromolecules.
Veritas Genetics is a leader in consumer genetics and whole-genome sequencing around the world. Clinical Diagnostics, Genetics, Whole Genome Sequencing, and Genomics are among the company's specialties. MyGenome, Verita's flagship product, uses whole-genome sequencing findings to provide clients with information on their genetic risk for disease and allergic reactions.
Through the integration of cutting-edge molecular diagnostic technology, Empire Genomics improves individual patient care. The company is collaborating with top research and clinical institutes to bring diagnostic tests to market faster than its competitors. It creates extremely specific assays for medications that target NTRK in solid tumors and ABL1 in pediatric leukemias in weeks rather than months, as is normal.
Each cancer patient receives personalized care from GE Healthcare. SOPHiA's next-generation genomics technology and GE Healthcare's comprehensive set of imaging solutions work together to provide treatments for multimodal patient data and cancer types. It establishes a shared repository of clinical, genetic, and imaging data in order to extract new insights from existing sources, build clinical diagnostic tools, and fuel future clinical research.
With cutting-edge NGS and bioinformatics skills and the world's greatest sequencing capacity, Novogene is a leading provider of genomic services and solutions. It provides unrivaled data quality to help our customers achieve their research objectives. Novogene is the world's largest NGS service provider, with offices all over the world. It has genetic sequencing laboratories in the United States, China, Singapore, and the United Kingdom.
Pacific Biosciences develops cutting-edge genomic analysis systems that provide crucial information to scientists working to tackle complicated genetic problems. By providing the longest average read lengths, highest consensus accuracy, and most uniform coverage of any sequencing technology on the market today, it sequencing technology provides the most comprehensive view of genomes, transcriptomes, and epigenomes, including the full spectrum of genetic variation.
Using modern methods and technologies, Personal Genome Diagnostics (PGDx) develops a patient-specific study of the cancer genome. It enables in-house tumor profiling with our portfolio of RUO and IVD tissue, liquid biopsy-based genomic products, and sophisticated bioinformatics solutions, allowing for a deeper knowledge of tumor biology and biomarker-informed treatment strategies. By accessing actionable information from the genome, PGDx aids in the battle against cancer. The company is working on a portfolio of regulated tissue-based and liquid biopsy genomic solutions for laboratories all around the world.
Personalis Inc. develops individualized cancer vaccines and other next-generation cancer immunotherapies by providing superior genetic sequencing and analytics capabilities. From nucleic acid extraction to sequencing assays to data analytics, ACE (Accuracy and Content Enhanced) Technology optimizes every step of the next-generation sequencing (NGS) process. Personalis provides high-quality, accurate genetic data to enable biopharma companies to drive their immuno-oncology clinical and biomarker discovery initiatives, allowing for the rational design and development of effective cancer immunotherapies.
Phalanx Biotech Group serves the academic, pharmaceutical, and bioinformatics sectors worldwide with genomics research products and services. The company is expanding its microarray capabilities and attempting to increase acceptance of its genomic goods and services. Whole-genome microarrays, miRNA microarrays, and hybridization chambers are among the products developed by the company. Microarray service, miRNA service, qRT-PCR, custom printing, Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), and a whole suite of complementing bioinformatics analysis are all available through Phalanx Biotech. It is a DNA microarray maker as well as a gene expression profiling and microRNA profiling service provider.
SeqMatic is a supplier of next-generation sequencing (NGS) services launched in 2012 by Illumina R&D scientists who are professionals in the field of NGS and related bioinformatics services. It offers a comprehensive range of next-generation sequencing options to meet the needs of most research projects. To genomics and transcriptomics research centers all over the world, the company provides comprehensive nucleic acid purification, library development, sample validation, sequencing, bioinformatics, and data analysis services for projects of any size.