What is Fraud Detection Software?
Fraud Detection Software solutions enable organizations to detect frauds at an early stage and provide ways to prevent them.
According to 360 Quadrant analysis, the following have been identified as the top 10 vendors in the Best Fraud Detection Software
Top 10 Fraud Detection Software-
- IBM Corporation
- SAS Institute Inc
- Fair Isaac Corporation (FICO)
- BAE Systems
- ACI Worldwide
- SAP SE
- Oracle Corporation
- Nice-Systems Ltd
- Experian Plc
- DXC Technology
Top free Fraud Detection Software
The products on this list are those which provide a free trial edition. There are drawbacks as in other free editions, usually time or functionality. When you would like to see other apps and review new functionality choices, compare all applications for Fraud Detection and ensure sure you have the correct app.
- NS8 Protect
Top Easy to Use Fraud Detection Software
This list includes software which are easy to use and have very friendly user interface. These products also require minimal user training and hence save time and training cost.
- IDVision with iovation
Top Features of Fraud Detection Software
Detection program for financial crime helps defend financial structures from theft, counterfeiting, embezzlement and other violations. Some of the top features are:
- Access Security Management
- Check Fraud Monitoring
- Custom Fraud Parameters
- Investigator Notes
- Pattern Recognition
- Transaction Approval
Best Fraud detection software is used to detect illegitimate and high-risk transactions made online. Increasing fraudulent activities related to transactions and electronic payments are driving the growing demand for FDP solutions. Top Cybersecurity companies include fraud prevention via a variety of methods, security controls like data encryption and two-factor authentication, and fraud detection tools that scout for data breaches in real time. Predictive analytics, customer analytics, social media analytics, and behavioral analytics are some of the available FDP analytical solutions. These tools continuously monitor user behaviors and calculate risk figures to identify potentially fraudulent purchases, transactions, or access. These tools are used by e-commerce businesses and digital banking companies IT and compliance departments to constantly monitor for potential fraudulent actions made by their users. Workers in the IT and Companies choose to adopt these tools to ensure transactions are legitimate while protecting sensitive information for both business and customers. Additionally, some authentication methods, such as Single Factor Authentication (SFA), Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), and Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC) are also used to detect frauds.
Best Fraud Detection Software solutions can be applied in several other areas, such as insurance claims, money laundering, and electronic payment. FDP solutions are used in various industries, such as Banking, Financial Services, and Insurance (BFSI), retail, healthcare, government, and manufacturing.
The competitive landscape section analyzes the growth strategies adopted by the various key players in the Best Fraud Detection Software market. IBM, Oracle, SAP, SAS Institute, BAE Systems, FICO, ACI Worldwide, and Fiserv are recognized as some of the top players in the Fraud Detection Software market. This chapter also includes the MicroQuadrant matrix which provides information about 25 major players offering FDP solutions.
The vendor evaluations are based on two broad categories: Product Maturity and Product Maturity. Each category carries various criteria based on which the vendors have been evaluated.
The evaluation criteria considered under Product Maturity include breadth and depth of product offering, product features and functionality, focus on product innovation, product quality and reliability, and product differentiation and impact on customer value.
The evaluation criteria considered under Company Maturity include geographic footprint, the effectiveness of organic growth strategy, channel strategy and fit, breadth of applications served, vision alignment, and mergers and acquisitions strategy. The products offered by these top players are loaded with several features and capabilities. Additionally, these players have adopted various business strategies to maintain their leading position in the Fraud Detection Software market.
Vendors who fall in this category generally receive high scores for most of the evaluation criteria. They have strong and established product portfolios, and a very strong market presence. They provide mature and reputable Fraud Detection Software solutions. They also have strong business strategies. IBM, SAS Institute, FICO, BAE Systems, ACI Worldwide, SAP, and ThreatMetrix fall in this category.
Vendors who fall in this category have very strong business strategies. However, they score low in terms of product portfolio. They generally focus on a specific type of technology related to the product. Fiserv, DXC Technology (CSC), Oracle, FIS, Visa, and Mastercard fall in this category.
Vendors who fall in this category have demonstrated substantial product innovations as compared to their competitors. They have very focused product portfolios. However, they do not have very strong growth strategies for their overall business. NICE Systems, Experian, LexisNexis, Easy Solutions, Guardian Analytics, and Kount fall in this category.
Vendors who fall in this category have niche product offerings and are beginning to gain a position in the market. They do not have very strong business strategies as compared to other established vendors. They might be new entrants in the market and could require some more time before gaining significant market traction. Software AG, Distil Networks, Featurespace, eMcREY, FRISS, and innovation fall in this category.
What are the different types of Fraud Detection Software Solutions?
- Predictive Analytics- With the nature of frauds continuously evolving, the methods to prevent frauds have also advanced. Predictive analytics solutions help enterprises to identify future possibilities of fraud incidents by analyzing historical and current data. Predictive analytics solutions are the most widely used fraud analytics solutions, which are implemented for predicting fraud patterns and are readily available in the market. Predictive analytics solutions build a predictive model to indicate which frauds can be expected to increase over the coming years. Predictive analytics solutions are used to identify potential threats, identical payments, frauds in insurance processes, and credit/debit card frauds. Security vendors such as IBM, LexisNexis, and FICO use predictive analytics solutions to deal with various kinds of frauds.
- Customer Analytics- Customer analytics helps businesses to dynamically consolidate their customer interaction data gathered via multiple touchpoints into abstract groups or clusters, in order to recognize the evolving trends and patterns of fraudulent activities. These tools help enterprises analyze their customers’ behaviors and provide insights into the latest market trends. Customer analytics helps in detecting deviations in the customers’ normal behavior. Customer analytics solutions help organizations identify fraudulent activities or suspicious behaviors of customers. These solutions are used in various industries, including BFSI, healthcare, retail, and manufacturing.
- Social Media Analytics- Social media analytics is a set of analytical tools that gather data from blogs and social media websites. These tools help analyze and detect fraudulent activities. Social media/networking analytics is proving extremely helpful for enterprises. It helps analyze the links of a user through his/her social network accounts and then tries to analyze and detect transactions made by that user for common attributes, such as addresses, contact details, and images.
- Big Data Analytics- According to the Global Economic Crime Survey 2016 conducted by PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), one out of every three organizations experience economic frauds, and almost every institute deals with fraudulent activities. Insurance companies, healthcare, financial institutes, and retail are the most common industries facing fraud-related issues. According to Trends Analytics’ research study, health insurance frauds cost the US healthcare industry between USD 70 billion to USD 260 billion each year. Advanced analytics solutions have the power to recognize suspicious patterns that indicate potential fraud. The key FDP vendors providing big data analytics are IBM, Oracle, FICO, SAS Institute, and SAP.
- Behavioral Analytics- With the evolution of new technologies, hackers and fraudsters have begun using sophisticated tools, thus making it more difficult for enterprises and banks to prevent fraudulent incidents. In order to overcome this challenge, FDP providers have come up with a new technology based on behavioral analytics. This new technology is more capable and smarter in terms of analyzing and detecting the possibility of fraudulent activities and attempts. Every individual consumer has his/her unique behavior, related to devices, locations, channels, and financial and non-financial activities. Behavioral analytics is designed to observe the normal behavior of every individual customer, evaluate the risks of each event, and implement various methods to overcome those risks.
What are the important features to look for in a good Fraud Detection Software?
- Real-time transaction screening and review automation- Real-time monitoring and review automation is one of the major features of best fraud detection software. Fraud detection software solutions with ML capabilities continuously monitor incoming data. Real-time data processing also means that employees no longer need to review most of the orders themselves. Some companies spend too much on manual reviewing, whereas an ML-based fraud detection solution enables them to extremely reduce or even eliminate the overhead related to manual fraud review.
- Deep insights on user behavior- ML-based solutions have the capacity of learning from streaming data and adapting to emerging fraud patterns, while rule-based systems require analysts to specify new fraud scenarios. These tools have the capacity to identify implicit correlations between user behavior and the possibility of fraud and abuse.
- False positives reduction- The key to accuracy in fraud detection is to assess every transaction in the broad context, going beyond location and transaction amount.
- Real-time operations tracking and reporting- Best fraud detection software includes dashboards, that enable customers to monitor their key performance indicators in real-time, for instance, track orders and learn about their status (approved or declined) and additional information like payment method, location, channel, etc. Reporting capabilities usually include daily, weekly, or monthly reports on suspicious activity or a total number of transactions. Investigation teams may use visualizations of fraud patterns to better understand interconnections between user behavior and fraud attempts.
What are the major applications of Fraud Detection Software?
- Insurance Claim- Fraudulent activities in an insurance process comprise insurance claim frauds. Insurance frauds occur when false insurance claims are made based on fake identities and fake incidents. Insurance frauds occur when people cheat insurance companies to receive money that they are not entitled to. Insurance frauds are of two types, namely soft frauds and hard frauds. In soft frauds, the accused is let off after payment of some fine or imprisonment of up to one year. Hard frauds involve strict penalties and jail imprisonment of more than one year for the accused. The punishment for insurance fraud varies from region to region. Life insurance, healthcare insurance, property insurance, and automobile insurance frauds are some examples of insurance frauds. Governments across the world are taking initiatives to minimize insurance frauds in the public and private sectors by designing and implementing various policies and regulatory frameworks.
- Money laundering- Money laundering is the process of disguising the identity of illegally sourced money so that it appears to have been received from a genuine/legitimate source. Illegally gained money is laundered and moved across the globe with the help of intermediaries and money transmitters. As a result, illegal money remains hidden and is used for legal businesses. Money laundering is a worldwide issue faced by all regions, including North America, Europe, MEA, APAC, and Latin America. Money laundering comprises three steps, namely placement, layering, and integration. Placement involves depositing the amount in financial organizations. Layering involves transferring illegal funds to various countries using a series of accounts. Integration involves moving the layered amount into the financial markets where it mixes with the money from legal sources. Providers of anti-money laundering solutions are developing advanced financial investigative techniques to ensure protection against fraudulent activities. In order to prevent money laundering, governments across the world are adopting new laws and regulations, which allow law enforcement agencies to access the financial records of criminal organizations for detecting illegal money laundering activities.
- Electronic payment- Electronic payment is a subset of eCommerce transactions that enables entities to buy and sell products and services through the internet. Online money transactions have become the most active traders, due to the evolution of the internet over the past decade. Online shopping has achieved more popularity, as it enables customers to order a variety of products available across the world without leaving the comfort of their homes. Electronic payment systems are impacted by changes in technology, the emergence of new banking institutions, and economic restructuring. The different types of electronic payment modes include debit cards, credit cards, eMoney, and Electronic Fund Transfer (EFT). Additionally, due to the growing popularity of online money transactions, electronic payment frauds have become a serious issue, as cybercriminals are attacking the customers’ accounts. Hence, it has become essential for customers and financial institutions to recognize suspicious fraudulent activities and invest in FDP solutions to effectively defend themselves against payment frauds in various payment methods. Data analytics is an operative solution that helps financial institutes to distinguish unfamiliar consumer transactions and fraudulent transactions. ACI Worldwide, Fiserv, BAE Systems, and NICE Actimize are some of the key players who provide solutions to combat electronic payment frauds.
- Mobile/ Digital Payment- Innovations in mobile payment technologies are increasing day by day. Technologies such as Near Field Communication (NFC) are currently trending in the market. A study by Accenture states that about 52% of North Americans use mobile payment technologies, out of which 18% use mobile payments on a regular basis. Attacks such as phishing attacks, Wangiri fraud, and malware attacks are increasing at a significant rate. As a result, solutions using two-factor authentication, biometrics, and data encryption technologies are being implemented to secure mobile transactions.
A few popular Fraud Detection Software use cases-
Use Case # 1: Threatmetrix: Kabbage
- Objective- To prevent fraudulent loans and reduce fraud losses
- Challenge- To detect fraudsters using stolen credentials to enter the loan application process
- Solution- The ThreatMetrix Solution provides cost-effective features to ensure high security around business processes. It helps to detect fraudulent digital identities.
- Benefits- The ThreatMetrix Solution comprising of digital identities helps detect fraudulent activities in Kabbage’s SME’s loan application process. The solution is used to identify and keep track of “good” or “bad” device IDs and IP addresses. Furthermore, it also helps Kabbage to protect its long term-revenue by minimizing losses and operational costs.
Use Case # 2: Lexisnexis: Safefederal Credit Union (SAFE FCU)
- Objective- To ensure effective compliance with new and existing government regulations and minimize fraud attempts
- Challenge- During the loan application process, SAFE FCU verifies the customers’ identities by checking their Social Security Numbers (SSNs) with the data provided by the applicants. However, SAFE FCU faced a huge increase in fraud attempts and needed a proper solution which also complied with new and existing government regulations.
- Solution- LexisNexis Risk Management Solution comprises advanced analytics tools that help to secure critical business processes. The solution offers various tools to search, monitor, score, and investigate business processes quickly and efficiently. Furthermore, its InstantID solution provides robust identity coverage, increases identity verification rate, and ensures regulatory compliance.
- Benefits- The ThreatMetrix Solution comprising of digital identities helps detect fraudulent activities in Kabbage’s SME’s loan application process. The solution is used to identify and keep track of “good” or “bad” device IDs and IP addresses. Furthermore, it also helps Kabbage to protect its long term-revenue by minimizing losses and operational costs
Use Case # 3: BAE Systems: Insurance Fraud Bureau (IFB)
- Objective- Needed to deploy an FDP solution along with advanced analytics software to prevent and detect insurance fraud claims
- Challenge- The IFB assists around 98% of the motor insurance market in the UK and uses advanced analytical software to identify cross-industry fraud networks (such as individuals, vehicles, companies, and addresses). However, the IFB faced a problem in identifying suspect networks functional across the insurance industry. The Association of British Insurers (ABI) has estimated that general insurance fraud claims are costing the UK industry an average of USD 2.72 billion per annum.
- Solution- BAE Systems (NetReveal solution) enables organizations to quickly identify new fraud patterns. The solution helps the insurance industries (property and casualty insurance) to detect fraudulent activities.
- Benefits- The NetReveal solution helped the IFB to protect its technology infrastructure. Using advanced social network analysis technologies, the solution helps the IFB to detect and prevent fraud which cannot be done using traditional systems.
Use Case # 4: ACI Worldwide: Canadian Banks
- Objective- To prevent and detect money laundering and bank frauds in the banking industry
- Challenge- The Canadian federal government’s strict regulations related to money laundering and bank frauds had created a huge need for FDP solutions among various leading banks in the country. The number of false-positive alerts had increased tremendously, forcing bank analysts to spend more time in tracking potential money laundering activities.
- Solution- The ACI Proactive Risk Manager solution uses technologies such as predictive analytics and helps card issuers, merchants, acquirers, and financial institutions to identify and mitigate financial risks, frauds, and money-laundering through expertly defined rules. The solution is also used to deal with various types of frauds such as wire fraud, ACH frauds, online frauds, credit/debit frauds, merchant frauds, and anti-money laundering frauds.
- Benefits- The banks utilized ACI Proactive Risk Manager, and the ACI Fraud consulting team enabled them to proactively manage and generate the most accurate alerts against any type of fraudulent activity.
Best Fraud Detection Software
Guardian Analytics provides products for fraud Detection, fraud Analytics and AML. It studies the fraudsters’ techniques and remain a step ahead of them. The only company to protect 100% of users and account holders against all types of threats and frauds and also learns from the attacks to be more advanced. Other solutions include account takeover detection, reconnaissance, and fraud set-up activity that indicate possible criminal activity in the early stages of an attack.
Imperva Bot Management's holistic approach provides the most visibility and control over human, good bot, and bad bot traffic. The company’s vigilant service, superior technology, and industry expertise provides customers with unprecedented protection from automated threats—without affecting the flow of essential business traffic.
eMcREY works proactively with clients to defend their assets against hacking, malware, and fraud, giving them the confidence to focus on opportunities rather than threats. The capabilities encompass card fraud detection, neural networks, risk rules engines, behavioural scoring and both real-time and post-authorisation.
Software AG's Event Analytics for Adabas is one of the trusted names for IoT, analytics, independent integrating and process software solutions for enterprises. Fraud detection software by Software AG helps enterprises with real-time metrics and big data records to combat fraud and reduce time-to-detection. Built on Complex Event Processing; the fastest CEP engine, the software allows companies to decrease the missed transactions up to 0.005%, and fight against scams of millions of dollars every year.
6Sense is a trusted account-based management platform that helps an organization to unleash customer behaviors, buying patterns, priorities, demands in the market. Utilizing the power of AI, ML and big data for fraud prevention and detection, 6Sense empowers enterprises with research and analytics through account-based buying journey of customers so that they get to increase opportunities for business expansion.
Angoss Software Corporation offers Fraud Detection Software that services to be top-rated among its businesses and industries. This envisions a comprehensive solution for all marketing connections, interactions, and trends. With the right attribution, you can manage, clean and blend data at each step of your journey. This also provides insights into the users' performance and marketing ROI.
Civis Analytics solves enterprise issues of data analytics for better customer understanding with a science-first approach. Their cloud bases Civis platform enhances data research and predictions with tools like Jupyter, workflows, and notebooks to make the technical experience better. Whether to identify your customers, quickly getting insights, predictive modeling, or cross-channel attributes, Civis Analytics does it all with its state-of-the-art platform.