What is Identity and Access Management?
Identity and Access Management is a business security framework that’s designed for multi perimeter environments to protect and monitor user access. It helps users in managing digital identities, which are scattered both inside and outside enterprises. Identity and access management software manages user access to information and applications across enterprises by undertaking security and risk considerations. These IAM software allow organizations to create, store, delete, and maintain user identities and their related access permissions automatically.
What drives the adoption of Identity and Access Management solution?
Varied technological environments, strict compliance, and increasing digital identities across enterprises are fueling the need for deployment of IAM software. Enterprises manage their identity management costs and become agile by adopting identity & access management competencies.
What is the use of IAM Software?
IAM software technology is used to initiate, capture, manage, and record user identities. It also provides an organization’s staff with permissible access to various enterprise resources. Identity & access management can be described as the management of individual identities, their authorization, and provision of access based on predefined rules. Previously, IAM software was primarily used for providing companies with support to access management and access-related compliance needs. Which was why, organizations back then, struggled to meet the compliance demands, and were able to deploy solutions which were limited only to a few applications and systems.
Nowadays, organizations adopt risk-driven approach and they provide logical access controls. Also, growing emphasis of compliance management and increasing trend of mobility are driving the demand for Identity and Access Management Software in various sectors. Moreover, there has been a rise in the Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) approach, which has led to an increase in workforce adopting mobility.
360Quadrants recognizes the below-listed companies as the best IAM software
Who are the top 10 IAM players?
- IBM corporation
- Dell inc
- Microsoft corporation
- Rsa securid
Visionary leaders are the leading identity and access management (IAM) market players in terms of new developments such as product launches, innovative technologies, and the adoption of growth strategies. These players have a broad product offering that caters to most of the regions globally under the best Identity and access management software category. Visionary leaders primarily focused on acquiring the leading market position through their strong financial capabilities and their well-established brand equity. Some of the visionary leaders in the IAM Software market are IBM Corporation, Oracle, Hitachi and Microsoft Corporation etc.
Dynamic Differentiators are established players with very strong business strategies. However, they have a weaker product portfolio compared to the visionary leaders. They generally focus only on a specific type of technology related to the product under best identity and access management software category. Some of the dynamic differentiators in the IAM market are Avatier and Cyberark.
Innovators in the competitive leadership mapping are vendors that have demonstrated substantial product innovations as compared to their competitors. These best Identity and Access Management software companies have focused on product portfolios. However, they do not have very strong growth strategies for their overall business, when compared with the visionary leaders. Some of the innovators in the IAM market are MicroFocus, SAP SE, Kaseya etc.
Emerging companies have niche product and service offerings. Their business strategies are not as strong as that of the established vendors. The emerging vendors in identity and access management software category include the new entrants in the market, emerging in terms of product portfolio and geographic reach, and require time to gain significant traction in the market. Emerging companies in the IAM software market are Watchguard Technologies and Broadcom Limited.
Key Benefits of IAM Systems
- Enhances User Experience - Single Sign on (SSO) does not require the users to recall and input various passwords to gain access to the system. With the help of SSO, users can automatically login every time they move to another connected system.
- Password management - IAM software allows organizations to spread their SSO competences to SaaS, cloud-based, web-based, and virtual applications. SSO has the ability to combine password management across various domains and attribute-sharing values and protocols.
- Boost Security Profile - IAM software has the ability to validate and approve users based on their access level specified in their directory profiles. IAM solution also manage user access using other aspects to precise roles of the system.
- Progressive Anomalies Monitoring - Recent IAM software solutions embrace technologies such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, and risk-based authentication, to recognize and restrict any kind of strange activity.
What are the key features to look at while buying an IAM solution?Managing identities and credentials for enterprise resources & information, and efficiently facilitating access management are the critical challenges faced by several organizations across various industry verticals globally. Organizations should be looking at the following features, while shortlisting an IAM Software.
- Provisioning - Provisioning provides employees, partners, clients, and other stakeholders with identity manageability features to access resources present on-premises or through cloud. It guarantees that the users can access all the necessary applications and network resources. These solutions manage automated provisioning and de-provisioning of computing resources.
- Directory Services - A directory is a term used for storage and management of identity information and its credentials. IAM solution directory services enable departmental access to corporate services and business resources, which bring together resources, users, access, networks, and access points. This enables high-speed access to identity information by mission-critical systems and applications.
- Single Sign-on - Single Sign-On (SSO) in IAM automates and integrates the functions of IAM processes. It comprises Web and Federated Single Sign-On, and Enterprise Single Sign-On (E-SSO). Single Sign-On (SSO) is a form of authentication, which allows users access to multiple computer platforms or applications present on-premises of an organization or through cloud by logging in only once. SSO allows end users to login using one single set of credentials by eliminating the need to remember passwords.
- Advanced Authentication - Advanced authentication uses two factors for authenticating that include password and biometric. It is a scalable and flexible solution that incorporates both, risk-based authentication and strong authentication. It includes software revenues from technologies used for biometric recognition of identities, smart cards software, and two, three, & multifactor authentications.
- Password Management - Password management applications enable end users to reset passwords, which significantly alleviate the help desk workload to address password reset requests. Furthermore, these applications ensure enhanced security by implementing strong password policies.
- Audit, Compliance, and Governance - Auditing and user activity monitoring (including privileged and non-privileged users) is an important part of the IAM process. It includes events and activities associated with identities or resources, which are logged into a centralized repository. These IAM solutions provide comprehensive support for auditing, including re-certification, and central analysis of identity-related audit data.
What are the options to deploy IAM solution?
On the basis of deployment type, the best identity management market has been segmented into on-premises and cloud.
- Cloud or hosted solutions are Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) provided by service providers. Cloud computing services convert fixed cost to variable cost, as customers have to pay according to the services they utilize.
- Cloud revenue management solutions are available according to a customer’s demand, wherein they can start or stop any service at will. This provides flexibility to organizations to adjust to the dynamic environment.
- There has been an upward trend in the deployment of cloud-based solutions. The advantages of cloud deployment are reduced physical infrastructure, low maintenance cost, and 24×7 data accessibility from anytime, anywhere.
- Cloud-based solutions also support real-time visibility of data for employees, enabling organizations to communicate with different departments before, during, and after each appointment.
- On-premises solutions are installed and hosted in an organization’s own IT infrastructure and are managed by their internal IT staff. On-premises deployment is a traditional way of implementing identity & access management solutions.
- Organizations, where user credentials are critical for business operations, usually follow this approach as the information is moderately safe from external attacks, since systems are held internally by the organization.
- As on-premises solutions typically involve procurement of dedicated hardware, software license, and annual support and maintenance fees, this mode of deployment is popular across large-sized enterprises.
- Security concerns associated with the confidential data of customers is also a crucial factor for on-premises deployment.
- However, on-premises deployment requires IT support teams for regular service and maintenance operations, who may find it difficult to regularly update the on-premises systems.
How to choose the right IAM solution?While choosing an ideal IAM software, it is good for the users to look at the following:
- Multi-factor Authentication - Leaked passwords have been one of the major reasons for most of the data breaches over the last few years. Multi-factor Authentication has the ability to enhance user identification, by decreasing the risk of data breaches.
- User Self-service - An ideal IAM solution helps users to safely reset their own passwords and unlock their accounts without relying on the help desk. It also helps users to update their attributes and manage group memberships.
- Reporting and Auditing - Since compliance is a priority for almost all organizations, an ideal IAM software should be able to maintain a consistent audit track. Progressive IAM solutions enable IT teams to track precise features within applications.
- 3rd Party vendor management - An ideal IAM software guarantees that the users gain the correct level of access granularity for third-party subcontractors.
- Applications Required - An ideal IAM software should be able to support or integrate into numerous applications. So, it becomes critical for businesses to assess all the apps used by the workforce.
- Single Sign-on - An IAM solution with Single Sign-On (SSO) helps in reducing password issues, enhances productivity, and decreases IT costs.
Some Noteworthy Use Cases
Use Case 1: Exterior SSO using AD passwords to access Office 365, Salesforce, and other third-party applications
Employees or customers who need to be able to use their Active Directory passwords to gain access to third-party applications, can do so through the Gluu Server. Since, the target application supports SAML or OpenID Connect, the SSO transaction can be organized from inside the Gluu Server GUI. If the target application supports something like WS-Federation, it is ideal to use ADFS as a WS-Federation-to-SAML proxy.
Use Case 2: Web based Single Sign-On towards an exclusive RDBMS based User Repository
In cases where, businesses store their user credentials in an exclusive user store, and it wants to validate against that database by leveraging a customized RDBMS connector in the SSO platform. It is critical to understand that RDBMS constantly needs some custom integration because every organization has a different schema.
Use Case 3: Employees need to impersonate customers
This can be addressed within the Gluu Server. However, it recommended to handle this within the user’s application. For example, the Gluu Server could validate the employee who is imitating the customer, and in the application, the user would notice that the person has a role and should have the ability to see / edit a customer’s environment.
And, if the business actually allows a staff member validate as another person, it is suggested that they use safe credentials and apply a multi-step verification workflow.
- Biometrics – IAM solutions will need to integrate biometrics capabilities such as fingerprints, retina scans, and facial recognition to recognize sanctioned users for networked systems.
- Blockchain - Blockchain technology integrated with IAM solution addresses the issues with keeping identification data in a central Moreover, the individual documentation data in such central systems is not managed by individuals. Instead, the data is possessed by the third-party services provider.
- Situation Based Identity and AI - Situation-based IAM solution associates data about a user that is applicable for the identity being validated. Also, AI based ML systems can understand an individual so well that all the information gathered about them, linked with multi-factor authentication, will safely recognize most people.
- Live Problem Warning and Response - AI and ML can prove to be valuable in anomaly detection. Businesses these days, want to be able to detect anomalies such as uncommon key strokes, changed source locations, and even the date or time, and then reacting by either alerting, blocking the attempt, or dropping additional controls or authentication stages in place.
- Individuality Reassurance - Businesses today require improved security solutions that encourage decision-based identity assurance. Identity assurance systems monitor risk notices and help administrations in tracking distrustful activities.
- Identity API Management - Identity API management facilitates linking of cloud applications and individuals to provide programmer grade access and review tracks to anyone trying to enter API gateways.
- Security Robotics – Rise in the use of robotics in identity and security management is another trend observed in the IAM industry. The security segment plans to leverage robotics to achieve vital tasks in enterprise settings, including in the setting of identity and access rights management.
- Privileged Access Management - Privileged account comprises valued business data and is continuously tracked by cyber attackers. Privileged Access Management is an essential part of IAM wherein privileged accounts are continuously checked and protected with severe verification techniques.
- IAM Migration to the Cloud - Another IAM trend is the movement of user identity data services to the cloud services, or identity management as a service. Identity management as a service is easily scalable. The service providers manage most of the management activities in the back end.
- Decentralized Identity - Blockchain permitted and dispersed identities are compelling IAM systems to enables users to produce, demonstrate, and record their identities and the associated relationship identifiers to use digital services.
- Virgin Media approves 'misconfigured database' left personal data of 900,000 people unprotected·
- Cathay Pacific penalized with £500,000 data protection fine from Information Commissioner’s Office over 2018 data breach
Best Identity and Access Management Software in 2022
Okta, Inc. is one of the prominent providers of identity and mobility management solutions for mobiles and cloud enterprises. The company provides cloud application management services with a strong focus on Customer Relationship Management (CRM). The company also offers identity, security, digital businesses, and mobility solutions.
IBM provides easy integration and customization capabilities in its offerings such as customer queries which are resolved on priority. It allows access rights, provides single sign-on from any device, enhances security with multi-factor authentication, enables user lifecycle management, and protects privileged accounts.
Oracle Identity Management aims to empower customers to manage internal and external users, secure corporate information from potential software threats, and streamline compliance initiatives. Oracle’s continuous focus on innovation is indicated by the launch of industry and business function-specific solutions.
OneLogin's identity management solution allows organizations to function at extreme speed, simultaneously providing the integrity that confers insights and governance and minimizes risk. OneLogin is a thought leader in authentication with plans to extend mobility support.
Dell Identity Manager eliminates the difficulties and long processes that are often needed to govern identities, manage privileged accounts, and controls access. Dell One Identity solutions help in simplifying and attaining business agility while addressing identity and access management (IAM) challenges.
Microsoft Corporation is a global provider of identity & access management solutions. The company's on-premises identity & access management solutions help businesses in synchronizing identities between directories, data bases, and applications. It also provides the authentication of password and certificate management. Microsoft, with its vast identity & access management solutions portfolio, caters the needs of customers.
BeyondTrust Privileged Access Management solutions offer the exposure and control that is required to reduce risk, achieve least privilege, and gain operational efficiency. The company also offers the most seamless approach to prevent data breaches related to stolen credentials, misused privileges, and compromised remote access. The company’s privilege access management solution targets the special needs for any account managed by an organization.
RSA SecurID Access delivers constant access assurance for enterprises to confirm that users across the organization have the proper level of access. By providing visibility across islands of identity in the blended cloud and on-premises environment, RSA Identity Governance and Lifecycle authorizes business users to take action swiftly and easily to address risky access situations with the highest business impact in order to reduce business risk and ensure compliance.
Salesforce Identity Connect allows managing AD users and Salesforce users simultaneously. It can organize Identity Connect to enable AD users access to their Salesforce orgs without logging in again. Salesforce identity event logs for creating reports and dashboards on single sign-on (SSO) and connected app usage.
SailPoint Predictive Identity leverages the power of AI and machine learning to deliver the next-generation identity. It integrates with all applications and data in even the most compound, hybrid IT environment, and learns how an organization works to provide recommendations that help in making smart access decisions.
LoginRadius Identity Platform offers a comprehensive variety of customer registration and authentication options for the right balance between customer experience and security. It also offers Multi-Factor Authentication and Risk-Based Authentication to ensure that customers get the right level of security while preserving a simple online experience.
AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) enables businesses to manage access to AWS services and resources securely. It also allows businesses to manage permissions for the users and applications, leverage identity federation to manage access to an AWS account.
Akamai Technologies offers accessibility and gathers user data for marketing analysis. It delivers all features expected in an advanced CIAM solution. Akamai Identity Cloud is established and highly scalable and considered by enterprises with high availability, GDPR-compliant consent management, and complete marketing analytics features.
Zoho Identity Manager Plus from the ManageEngine offers end users one-click access to the applications they need and permits IT admins to manage and monitor application access from one central console.
Cloud-ready Zero Trust Privilege is developed to manage the basic use case of privileged access management (PAM), which concedes access to privileged user accounts via a shared account, password, or applications passwords, and secrets vaults, as well as securing remote access. Centrify Privileged Access Service permits all the above as well as secure administrative access via the jump box, workflow-driven access requests, and approvals as well as multi-factor-authentication (MFA) at the vault.
Micro Focus helps organizations to provide their users with instant access to all the resources required. The company’s IAM solutions make it easier for users to remember their passwords and gain instant access to the resources. The solutions also enable businesses to control and monitor privileged user access and enhances authentication without impacting productivity.
CyberArk defend, manage and review user and application credentials, deliver least privilege access, control applications on endpoints and servers, and protect, monitor, and analyze all privileged activity and proactively notifying on anomalous behaviour. It offers comprehensive readymade solution to defend, monitor, identify and respond in a tamper-proof, scalable and built for complex distributed environments to provide the highest security from insider and advanced threats.
Cirrus identity provides the function of securing the enterprises with a simple login solution. It provides digital identity management solutions and is considered a swiss army knife. It works for the best organisations like Google, Facebook and LinkedIn and with top 40 universities like the University of Michigan, University of Chicago, and Brown University, etc. The company was found on January 2013 with the motive to earn profit and became a private company whose headquarter is in California, United States. It provides the identity management solutions to manage user login so the business can focus on the main activities and their core product and engage the customers with their fastest services.
CionSystems is a cloud-based IAM (Identity and Access Management) solutions centralized on-premise enterprise to Microsoft Office 365 which provides automated users provisioning, de-provisioning and collects the auditing data for compliances from AD. It is designed to integrate with school systems, HR systems, school districts and IT organizations of varying complexity, skills, sizes, levels, and in verticals like the telecom sector, finance, and education sector as well.
Core Security Identity and Access Management (IAM) software offer threat-aware identity, authentication, and vulnerability management solutions. It helps the users to develop a strong identity governance foundation crucial for the success of identity and access management program. It reduces the incidence of identity-related risk and provides protection against the risk of routine changes, the risks arising from business changes, and the risk of insider threats. Overall it reduces all kinds of identity-related risks within an organization.
Hoyos Wallet is the only unhackable solution to preserve private wallets and the assets inside. Users can rest assured because their digital wallet is secured by the hoyos wallet. The hoyos wallet is the ultimate verification and encryption method that ties together advanced, multi-biometric protection and control. It significantly diminishes a large attack surface down to a single user. The hoyos wallet provides investors the convenience of hot and cold password preservation.
Crossmatch IAM (Identity Access Management) is an HID globally accepted flexible hardware and software in providing biometric identity and access management solutions. This solution provides a convenient and comprehensive iris capture portable device for the verification of identity in less than five seconds with secure authentication solutions to the operators. The software helps businesses and governments integrate and strengthen security, reliability, and support through unparalleled automation technology.
Beta Systems offers Grancy IAM that enhances the safe handling of business data, decreases operational costs, reduces risks related with data access, and allows effective data processes that fulfill the legal and audit requirements. It provides advanced tools to supervise and monitor access to data and applications according to enterprise requirements and a specialist role of each user. Its Access Intelligence Manager delivers reports and multi-dimensional analyses to check corporate access rights structures and identify potential access risks.
Ekata Identity and Access Management (IAM) software offers award-winning global identity verification that helps a company to grow revenue by maximizing predictability of good transactions, diminishing customer friction at account opening and detecting more frauds, abuses, etc. It improves the performance of the payment risk model and decreases false declines. It provides reliable workflow integration directly into a proprietary system. It ensures quality customer experience with its manual review tool.
AU10TIX is an enterprise-grade, hardware and SaaS solution that pioneered autonomous end to end ID authentication which allows clients to verify the consumer identity through a multi-layered and automated, algorithm. It also classifies documents such as passports and drivers licenses. AU10TIX provides ultra-fast enablement which reduces ID-based fraud while minimizing the cost with the processing clients.
IAM Cloud Customer Identity Management is an advanced cloud-based identity management platform that is designed to manage IT and provides the tool to manage resources with high automation and a view into security policies across the organization and enterprise with built-in auditing to ease compliance process. IAM Cloud Customer Identity Management automates account provisioning and de-provisioning and the program can replace Dirsync for Office 365 which helps reduce costs while increasing security around leavers.
Identropy IAM has two major trends: better preserving who gets ingress to which resources to minimize the risk and make assure that users have all the access they required to maximize business enablement. It designed to deliver a pragmatic roadmap for managing the identity lifecycle based on real-world business needs and internal dynamics whether for IT administrators, customers, and employees.
Gemalto Ezio softeware uses robust authentication to allow organizations and trust centers to safe access, identities, and interactions. It includes cloud-based or server-based management platforms, advanced development tools, and the broadest range of authenticators.