What is Student Information System (SIS)?
Student Information System (SIS) is a type of information management system used by educational institutions to collect, organize, and analyze the information of students, enabling an institution as a whole to manage its administrative relationship with students.
Top 10 Student Information System providers 2020:
- Arth Infosoft Pvt Ltd
- Campus Management
- Comspec International, Inc.
- Ellucian Formely Sungard Higher Education
- Focus School Software
- Illuminate Education
- Oracle Corporation
Student Information System solution supports a broad spectrum of back-office administrator and student-faculty-facing functionality to manage key institutional information assets, such as student prospects, applicants and matriculates, courses offered, student course registrations, and grades and transcripts throughout the student life cycle.
How to choose an ideal Student Information System provider?
The vendor evaluations in student information systems are based on 2 broad categories: strength of product portfolio and business strategy excellence. Each category carries various criteria based on which the vendors have been evaluated. The evaluation criteria considered under the strength of product portfolio include the breadth and depth of product offering (on the basis of the industries that the vendors cater to, and solution and service offerings), product feature and functionality, product branding, product differentiation and technology support, and product quality, reliability, and support. The evaluation criteria considered under business strategy excellence include effectiveness of growth strategy (on the basis of customers and revenue generation), channel strategy and fit (on the basis of the channel partners that the vendors cater to), geographic footprint (on the basis of geographic presence), breadth of application served and coverage, merger and acquisition strategy, and effectiveness of organic growth strategy. The vendors in student information system market have been placed into 4 categories based on their performance in each criterion: visionary leaders, innovators, emerging, and dynamic.
The visionary leaders in category receive high scores for most of the evaluation criteria. They have an established product portfolio and a very strong market presence. The dynamic differentiators in the student information system market are Arth Infosoft Pvt Ltd, Campus Management, Comspec International Inc.
Innovators have an innovative portfolio of services and a strong potential to build robust business strategies for their business growth, to be at par with the Visionary Leaders. Moreover, a strong and dedicated direct and indirect sales channel is one of the key factors influencing the brand position of the firm.
The dynamic differentiators in the student information system market are established vendors with very strong business strategies. However, they have a low product portfolio. They focus on a specific type of technology related to the product.
The emerging companies in the student information system have niche product offerings and are starting to gain their position in the market. They do not have much strong business strategies as compared to other established vendors. They might be new entrants in the market and require some more time before getting significant traction in the market.
What are the various applications of a Student Information System?
Student Information System helps in real-time enrollment status updates to help educational institutions identify potential barriers to the process. The enrollment phase of Student Information System helps educational campuses in streamlining and managing all the tasks involved in student admission. It helps in real-time enrollment status updates to help educational institutions identify potential barriers to the enrollment process so that they can continuously streamline the process through data-driven decisions. It also helps in managing cost-effectively without the need to hire and train additional staff. Student Information System (SIS) leverages the advanced features that educational institutions need to engage with students in a meaningful and personalized way and exceed service expectations throughout the enrollment processes.
Student Information System helps teachers administer test and share grades at ease and confidently with students, enabling seamless, private and ongoing parent-teacher communication. The Student Information System also enables multiple stakeholders to manage various academic processes in a simple and smooth manner, through one console. It reduces the need for human intervention and does not fatigue of repetitive processes. SIS also helps in forming groups of students, according to classroom or study groups and serves as an easily accessed repository of classroom notes and other classroom materials. It helps teachers administer tests and share grades at ease and confidentially with students, hence enabling seamless, private, and ongoing parent and teacher communication about the performance of students.
Student Information System helps manage financial aid, scholarships, and grants quickly and efficiently. SIS helps in easily administering all kinds of aid programs, from federal and state to private sources, to help students access higher education. It helps in ensuring and maintaining compliance issues, reducing costs, shortening processing times, minimizing errors and exceptions, and improving satisfaction among students and educational institutions. It helps manage financial aid, scholarships, and grants quickly and efficiently
SIS helps in managing student billing — from invoicing and online bill payments to tuition plans, financial reporting, and record-keeping. It also helps in streamlining record-keeping for tuition, athletic fees, class dues, graduation charges, and other student fees with time-saving batch entry. It offers tuition payment processing features so that students can handle all of their billing issues in one place. Schools can bill students and students or parents can pay those fees directly through the application.
What drives the Student Information System market?
Rising focus of educational institutions to improve educational quality and customer satisfaction
- Digital solutions such as Student Information System, ERP, and LMS help the educators to provide a world-class education to their students
- Student Information System also enables educators to keep track of each student throughout his/her lifecycle, increases the interaction between teachers and students, and empowers teachers to provide one-to-one instruction and seamless student assessment.
Widespread government initiatives and technological advancements in educational sector
- Governments play an important role in the development of the education sector in their country. Government initiatives toward the technology implementation in the education sector are expected to drive the demand for Student Information System solutions globally.
- Another factor responsible for boosting the demand for Student Information System is technological advancements in the education sector.
Increasing awareness among the educational institutions to improve the administrative process
- The Student Information System helps academic institutions to manage their business processes, such as student billing, registration, and enrolments, effectively.
- The SIS has turned out to be quite effective as it is able to integrate activities effectively, thereby allowing educators to integrate varied business processes for students, teachers, and faculties.
What are the benefits of deploying a Student Information System solution?
- The student information management system saves all the data on Cloud. Without SIS, the employees need to fill the data manually.
- A student management system, syncs all the data once entered, across all the modules which saves all the manual hassle.
- SIS organizes students’ data in a single place, which allows teachers to access all the data about a student immediately.
- Student Information System is a cloud-based solution that saves all the data on a consolidated platform, which makes the stored data extremely secure.
- Student information is generally saved as hard copies can be retrieved by anyone which can possibly lead to misuse. To avoid this, student management software offers role-based access.
- Students need a healthy atmosphere with a correct balance of teachers and parents.
- It helps parents and teachers to be more associated and helps them to deliver a healthy learning experience for the student.
Online Access from Anywhere
- A cloud-based student information system, allows users with an SIS to login and access their data from any internet equipped device.
- School data in the cloud facilitates teachers as it allows them to work on lesson plans and grading from any location and any device.
Simplified Payment Processing
- A contemporary Student Information System has the ability to assist the school economically besides improving enrollment.
- Using a consolidated system allows parents to keep track of tuition and pay for incidentals like books and uniforms.
A few popular use cases
- A K-12 Student Information System stores and tracks all student data that teachers or administrators need to manage their classrooms or run their schools. Information such as grades and attendance records are tracked through these platforms.
- Many K-12 SIS give students access to the information pertaining to them. SIS products are basically used by teachers, students, and parents to access all relevant information pertaining to a student’s schooling.
- SIS software is leveraged for a few different functions; the main two being as a channel of communication and as a place to store student information.
- A higher education Student Information System stores and tracks all student data that faculty and staff need to manage their university campus operations.
- Information such as grades, attendance records, admissions information, and financial aid are tracked through these platforms, which help faculty and staff.
- Many higher education SIS have a portal for students to obtain information that is vital to them, specifically their own grades.
- The higher education software addresses the main functional areas of the school, including enrollments, student services, registrar's office and business office, alumni relations, and development.
Top features to be considered while choosing the best student information system solution
- Cloud ERP - Cloud-enabled Student Information System are being progressively employed by all types of educational institutions to manage all data to decrease huge investments, save time and optimize resources.
Student Demographic - This section offers basic details of the student. It provides information about the progress of the student and recorded data.
- Contact Data – It offers home, mailing, primary and secondary addresses. This section also provides Guardian details with an option to add further details.
- Admission – Allows users to remove labor-intensive admission processes and allows organizations to track the whole admission process.
- Attendance – With Student Information System, institutions can preserve student's every day attendance period wise. They can also produce attendance related reports on-demand for the stakeholders.
- Scheduling – This section of student information system solutions allows users to create or view agendas and other management needs to assist in resource planning.
How to choose the best Student Information System?
The below mentioned checklist points at the key buying criteria, prior to choosing an ideal student management system:
- Full-time access - An ideal SIS is a web-based system that provides users with round the clock access to student information.
- Simple to use - Complex systems can cause major work related issues with the school management and administration. The institution’s purpose to use SIS may vary depending on the changing demands. The users should be clear with the usage techniques of Student Information System.
- Customizable - To prevent any operational issues, the users will need to check whether the software can be executed via customization.
- Security options– SIS is extremely secure, the database of this progressive system can only be accessed by approved people.
Student Information System Trends
- There is huge volume of school data that needs to be managed, preserved and updated.
- In a student information system, all the data right from enrolment, assignment, class schedule, and address are efficiently stored.
- This data could be needed by various departments at the same time therefore, it requires a single place to be stored.
- A student information system properly manages all of the student data to make it more reachable to all approved department and people.
- On-premise and off-premise cloud is needed for complete, prompt and regular backup.
- A student information software does not require students to physically visit the school or educational institute for any data.
- It allows the students to view all the data online.
- It also has altered the approach of learning for students because this portal could be opened with authorized login details.
- A student may view their lecture, assignment, and class schedule. They may also get approach to fee, exam and result in notifications.
- PowerSchool to Acquire Schoology, Pairing Major K-12 LMS and SIS Providers
- UniLink Data Systems Acquires PCSchool, a Student Information System provider
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What is the market outlook and how will it grow in future?A:
The global student information system market size to grow from USD 5.0 billion in 2018 to USD 9.0 billion by 2023, at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 12.4 % during the forecast period. The major growth drivers of the market include technological advancements in the education sector and government initiatives.
Q: What are the major challenges faced while deploying student information system at the customer end?A:
Lack of expertise and infrastructure among the end users in various regions could affect the growth of the student information system market.
Q: What are the upcoming technological advancements in the student information system market?A:
Technological advancements in the education sector and government initiatives is driving the student information market towards growth. Institutions leverage student information system to improve the quality of education while keeping the expenses minimum.
Q: What are the opportunity areas on which student information system vendors can capitalize upon?A:
The vendors can capitalize on providing the cloud based solution. The cloud-based solution reduces the overall costs while providing highly flexible and scalable access to solutions. Companies are deploying student information system on cloud to improve mobility and scalability. Security of the student information system is higher in on-premises deployment type; however, cloud-based student information system enables organizations to reduce the costs related to the solution, storage, and technical staff. Due to these advantages, many vendors are switching from on-premises deployment mode to the SaaS-based software.
Q: How is the adoption trend of student information system across major economies?A:
North America is expected to hold the largest market size and dominate the student information system market from 2018 to 2023. North America has the highest rate of adoption of technologies, such as cloud, IoT, mobility, big data, analytics, and digital transformation. The presence of a large number of student information system solution vendors, continuous advancements in technology, and availability of proficient technical expertise are some of the factors contributing to the growth of the market in North America. APAC is expected to provide lucrative opportunities for the student information system vendors, as the education institutions in APAC have started implementating the digital solutions to improve the operational efficiency.
Q: Which are the major vendors in Student Information System market?A:
15 major vendors offer student information system solution and services across the globe, and they are SAP (Germany), Oracle (US), Ellucian (US), Workday (US), Jenzabar (US), Unit4 (Netherlands), Skyward (US), Arth Infosoft (India), Tribal Group (UK), Campus Management (US), PowerSchool (US), Foradian Technologies (India), Illuminate Education (US), ComSpec International (US), and Focus School Software (US).
Best Student Information System (SIS)
- 360 Score: 4.54
Arth Infosoft is focused on offering customized solutions based on client requirements and offers 24X7 support services to its clients. The company believes in continuous investment into its R&D activities to offer enhanced product quality within client budget that provides satisfaction to the client. For instance, Arth Infosoft launched eduApp for iPhone and Android users for fastest communication between teachers and parents. This app has simple features, such as click-to-call and click-to-email. Moreover, the company is planning to launch a fully customized ERP system for schools, especially, for all the educational colleges, to enable smooth functioning of the software. The ERP is expected to be cost-effective and easy-to-use and will offer security benefits to clients. These initiatives taken by the company reveal the company's efforts and focus on organic growth strategies to capture maximum market share and maintain a prominent position in the education industry.Read More
- 360 Score: 4.21
Campus Management is a prominent player in the SIS market due to its robust and in-depth offerings for institutions around the globe. The company is keen on adopting organic as well as inorganic growth strategies to grow and sustain in the higher education industry through its vast product portfolio designed specifically for higher education. Moreover, the company is working on entering new markets through partnerships with innovative market players. This expansion strategy is helping the company acquire new customers and grow in various countries. Furthermore, it focuses on providing industry-focused offerings to customers with the help of inorganic growth strategies to become an exclusive vendor in the market. In September 2018, Campus Management acquired Education Partners to offer enhanced financial aid and enrollment capabilities. This acquisition helps Campus Management accelerate and extend their product roadmap that would help the company automate and enhance the student experience by simplifying financial aid, enrollment, and verification processes for non-traditional students and programs. Furthermore, the company invests into its R&D department to offer upgraded products and services in the SIS market.Read More
- 360 Score: 2.88
Comspec International offers Empower SIS which is pretty well defined and has a modular design. The solutions connects students, faculty, alumni and staff, and makes handling the campus easier. The company has a legacy and deep expertise in the design and development of personalized interfaces and connectivity with other software. Empower’s service-oriented architecture delivers the flexibility to seamlessly collaborate with a variety of best-of-breed products. In addition to the interfaces already available, the company can provide this service for virtually any open-architected software of the user's choice. The company offers various delivery options which allow each school to select the one that better meets its technology plan and budgetary requirements. It offers cloud delivery option that provides unfettered access to all of the features with minimal upfront costs. It also offers the self-hosted licensing option, which helps an institution to develop the technical ability required to host a sophisticated application.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
Ellucian offers robust solutions catering to the education industry by continuously improving its offerings to meet the demands for its customers and increase its growth, primarily through inorganic growth strategies. It is gaining significant traction in the market and increasing its customer base and revenue. The company is one of the largest providers of cloud-based solutions in higher education and has customers in more than 1,400 institutions globally. In October 2018, Ellucian partnered with Bluewater, a consulting and services firm for learning and talent management systems. Bluewater offers implementation services to Ellucian customers leading to maximized technology investments and accelerated development of employees, partners, and students. These partnerships would help the company in increasing its market share and cater to the growing customer demands in the SIS market.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.02 Reviews
Focus School Software is one of those student information systems that deliver unmatched productivity and advanced solutions to all your institutional needs. There are quite a few numbers of student information systems in the market as of today. Still, productive collaboration, disciplined modules, and the advanced interface are what makes this system one of the most intelligent and outperforming. Focus software is well aware of the fact that SIS does not only signifies accumulating data and submitting reports. Focus school software's student information system smartly uses advanced technology for identifying patterns and trends to assist educators in making informed decisions and thereby enhancing student performances.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.02 Reviews
Foradian Technologies is one of the leading student information systems provider helping several institutes perform better management of their students and academics. Used is more than 200 countries at 40,000+ institutions and supporting more than 20 million students as well as teachers, Foradian’s Fedena Student Information System is extremely useful in proving school management software, parents and teachers collaboration, attendance and scheduling, preparing online assessment and examinations, managing payment and fees and handling all other modules. This powerful tool enabled with the cloud comes with easy user-interface, powerful advanced features and unlimited licenses for students.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.02 Reviews
Illuminate Education is one of the pioneer companies that have been consistently outperforming by delivering upscale and advanced student information system. Based in Irvine, California, the company develops brilliant content as well as professionally created assessments to build tools that enhance learning. Its data-driven system lets everyone collaborate for better performance and get the most out of every developed program. Its superior K12 student information system has been developed working with distinct school districts to act as a standalone student information system. It can go with several K12 methods and can be entirely integrated into the Illuminate Intelligence Program.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
Jenzabar believes in continuously investing in its R&D activities to deliver enhanced and updated products and services to meet the ever-changing demands of customers. In the SIS market, the company has adopted both organic and inorganic growth strategies to strengthen its position in the market. In January 2019, Jenzabar launched new enhancements in Jenzabar One Student Registration module. The company has added new student-centric functionalities to improve academic planning and tracking student life cycle till degree completion. Moreover, new personalized course planning and scheduling capabilities, improved registrar functionality, and granular grade information are a few more benefits. These benefits help institutions to easily and efficiently streamline registration and deliver enhanced student experience. Moreover, Jenzabar has been partnering with companies whose products can strengthen Jenzabar's position in the higher education industry. For instance, Jenzabar partnered with Docubase to strengthen its position in the higher education industry. Docubase offers Jenzabar with high-value document management tailored for a variety of needs and budgets, efficient customer service and support for users, and hosted and on-premises solution options. These benefits offer Jenzabar clients with enhanced functionalities to easily adopt digitalization and succeed in the market. Moreover, the company's modern marketing practices help in increasing its RoI and overall revenue. These initiatives showcase the continuous efforts of Jenzabar to maintain a leading position in the SIS market.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
Oracle is one of the leading vendors in the SIS market. It focuses mainly on product enhancements and acquisitions to sustain and grow in the SIS market. For instance, in May 2018, Oracle acquired Vocado, an education financing firm. Vocado offers student-centric, cloud-based financial aid solution for higher education institutions. Vocado solution would be integrated with Oracle Student Cloud platform to offer enhanced SIS capabilities to customers. This combination would help customers of both companies manage financial aid more strategically and solve academic complexities of students efficiently. Moreover, Oracle has partnered with leading universities to design and develop enhanced Oracle Student Cloud for the higher education industry. For instance, in September 2014, Oracle announced the initiative to join Internet2, a not-for-profit organization that helps organizations and industry technology leaders to develop innovative solutions that address today's higher education technology challenges. Furthermore, Oracle mainly focuses on introducing new features and functionalities in its existing offerings through multiple upgrades to offer enterprises the benefits of latest technologies and innovations in the market.Read More
- California, USA
- Founded: 1977
- $10BN to $50BN
- 1,00,001 to 5,00,000
- 360 Score: 0.02 Reviews
Any school management system requires handling of various daily tasks which is based on a large amount of data. The new school should ideally have a system which ensures secure funding with practical reporting and identify all problem areas in real-time. The PowerSchool Student Information System (SIS) has covered a variety of administrative tools and technology which take care of all these essential tasks like data management, state compliance reporting, and more. It is a configurable and scalable system that ensures the smooth functioning of your school.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
SAP is focused on offering innovative cloud solutions for customers powered by SAP HANA that helps customers deliver enhanced services and successful business outputs. The company has been investing hugely in its Research and Development (R&D) activities to offer enhanced products and services for enabling customers to meet their business goals. SAP S/4HANA offers robust cloud services and support for the customers with various enhancements such as data-driven decisions with predictive analytics, and improved automation and agility. For instance, in October 2018, SAP added new services and cloud choices to its SAP Cloud platform that would help customers deliver enhanced services to end users. The company is focused on delivering intelligent enterprises to customers by providing enterprise software with the visibility, focus, and agility required for accelerated change.Read More
- Weinheim, Germany
- Founded: 1972
- $10BN to $50BN
- 75,001 to 1,00,000
- 360 Score: 0.0
Skyward is focused on organic and inorganic growth strategies to compete and maintain a leading position in the SIS market. The company concentrates continuously on innovating new products and services, which can be beneficial for end users, mainly through organic growth strategies. It offers integrated and industry-specific SIS products to address the complexities in student information management and business activities of institutions. For instance, in November 2016, Skyward launched Qmlativ Education Management System, offering enhanced SIS and ERP experience. It is an SQL-based platform and offers benefits of enhanced user experience, preemptive support measures, and a focus on the growth and development of every user. This system offers support for the emerging trends in education and ever-changing requirements of clients. The organic growth strategy would help Skyward increase its customer base by offering enhanced products and services in the SIS market, resulting in its overall revenue growth.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
Tribal Group offers a broad range of educational services, including quality assurance, peer review, improvement and inspections; and also offers a student survey and analysis business known as i-graduate that provides the benchmark for student experience. The company's key strengths consist of extensive and long-standing customer relationships; broad, complementary portfolio; educational expertise; and international delivery and insight. The company has a global reach, especially in countries, such as the UK, New Zealand, and Australia, where more than 50% of universities are currently using SIS offerings of Tribal Group. Moreover, the company believes in continuously investing in its R&D activities to offer enhanced products to its clients. For instance, the company is investing in its cloud-enabled student information platform, Tribal Edge. The first module of Tribal Edge is expected to be completed by 2020 with further development continuing till 2021. This product is the enhancement of the company's existing SIS product and will continue to support the SIS offering in the future. These initiatives of the company help clients use the most upgraded and enhanced version of SIS products that lead to student success.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
Unit 4 is an eminent player in the SIS market. It is a well-known brand in terms of the adoption of its products. The company's business is growing rapidly in the North American region by capturing local vendors who have a better understanding of the local market. This expansion strategy is helping the company to acquire new customers and grow in this region. Moreover, it focuses on providing industry-focused offerings to customers mainly with the help of an organic growth strategy to become an exclusive vendor in the market. In May 2017, Unit4 launched integral housing management in its Student Management Spring' 17. It includes capabilities to administer housing facilities and rooms which includes roommate assignments and payments from within the core system. Moreover, Student Management Spring' 17 includes functionalities for assessments and academic progress. These functionalities deliver a complete 360Â° view of each student's progress and achievements. This enables institutions to monitor the progress of their students, and manage and amend the ever-changing institutional rules. Furthermore, Unit4 invests a substantial part of its annual revenue in R&D to enhance and upgrade its products and services in the SIS market.Read More
- 360 Score: 0.0
Workday is focused on offering customers with the most advanced products and services, and drives customer satisfaction through its organic growth strategy. The company believes in continuously delivering an enhanced set of product features to customers with minimal downtime disruption. For instance, in September 2016, Workday launched its full cloud-based SIS, Workday Student. The company is specfically focused on offering enhanced features for multimedia and supporting factors for enabling student success. Workday Student includes student recruiting, admissions, curriculum management, student records, academic advising, financial aid, and student financials. Workday Student offers the benefits of simplified curriculum management, academic insight management, and automated financial aid. These innovative upgrades enable the company to deliver complete suite of enhanced SIS features to customers. Workday is focused on delivering enhanced capabilities for configuration, integration, security, scalability, and reliability of applications. Moreover, it is completely focused on offering enhanced customer support and product development capabilities which make it a leader in the SIS market.Read More
- Pleasanton, California, US
- Founded: 2005
- $1BN to $5BN
- 5,001 to 10,000