Comparing 19 vendors in Adhesives and Sealants across 109 criteria.
Access Research To
- Expand Total Addressable Market
- Formulate Go To Market Plans
- Build Competitive Right to Win
- Identify Top Customers to Grow
The Adhesive and Sealant Companies Quadrant is a comprehensive industry analysis that provides valuable insights into the global market for Adhesives and Sealants. This quadrant offers a detailed evaluation of key market players, technological advancements, product innovations, and emerging trends shaping the industry. MarketsandMarkets 360 Quadrants evaluated over 120 companies of which the Top 19 Adhesive and Sealant Companies were categorized and recognized as the quadrant leaders.
Adhesives and sealants are chemical formulations that hold the properties to adhere and seal materials. An adhesive is a chemical composition that sticks two surfaces together, whereas a sealant is a semisolid substance that stops leakages between two surfaces. Adhesives are widely used in various applications, including paper & packaging, building & construction, woodworking, automotive & transportation, electronics, consumer & DIY, etc. Sealants also find broad applicability in building & construction, automotive & transportation, consumer & DIY, and others.
The 360 Quadrant efficiently maps the adhesive and sealant companies based on criteria such as revenue, geographic presence, growth strategies, investments, channels of demand, and sales strategies for the market presence of the adhesives and sealants quadrant. While the top criteria for product footprint evaluation included Type (Adhesive, Sealant), Adhesive Technology (Water Based, Solvent based, Hot-melt, Reactive & Others), Adhesive End Use (Paper & Packaging, Building & Construction, Woodworking, Consumer & DIY, Automotive & Transportation, Leather & Footwear, Assembly, Medical, Electronic, Others), Sealant Resin Type (Silicone, Polyurethane, Plastisol, Emulsion, Polysulphide, Butyl, Others), and Sealant End Use (Building & Construction, Automotive & Transportation, Consumer, Others).
Key trends highlighted in 360 Quadrants:
- The global adhesives & sealants market size was USD 76.5 billion in 2023 and is projected to reach USD 95.0 billion by 2028, at a CAGR of 4.4%, between 2023 and 2028. The adhesives & sealants market is expected to be driven by the growth in emerging economies. The increasing number of applications of adhesives & sealants in the paper & packaging, automotive & transportation, and building & construction industries is likely to offer new growth opportunities for the adhesive and sealant companies, globally.
- Another major contributor to the growth of the adhesive and sealants’ market is the increasing demand for electronic products from the building and construction industry. The automotive sector is yet another contributor to the growth of this market. Other industries, such as aviation and marine, are also exploring advanced adhesive and sealant solutions. However, with all the advancements in the adhesives and sealants industry, challenges such as operational issues and regulatory compliance issues are the major hindrances for the adhesive and sealant companies and hence hold back their adoption rate.
- The water-based segment accounted for the largest share (~40%) in terms of volume in 2022. Reactive & others segment and solvent-based segment accounted for ~21.9% and 15.2%, respectively. The hot melt adhesives segment is still in a nascent stage. These adhesives are gaining prominence due to their fast-setting speed, low cost, and lower environmental impact. The adhesive and sealant companies are venturing into various other types in order to strengthen their position in the market.
- The high demand for silicone-based sealants is playing a vital role in market growth. Silicone has been replacing sealants like butyl, neoprene, bitumen, and polyurethane in highly demanding applications such as filling expansion joints in concrete roads. In 2022, silicone resins accounted for ~40.2%, the largest share of the sealants market in terms of volume. It can be touted that silicone products will continue replacing low-performance sealants between 2022 and 2026.
- Due to the contraction and saturation observed in the European and North American markets, demand has shifted to the Asia Pacific region. Asia Pacific is increasingly becoming a global commerce and trade center and is currently the fastest growing and largest market for adhesive and sealant companies. It accounted for nearly 34.4% in terms of volume in 2022. Further, with high investments in end-use industries from countries like China and India, adhesives and sealants will prosper in the region.
- In terms of adhesive demand, Asia Pacific is a developing market. China and India have been the main drivers behind the market's fast expansion in Asia Pacific and internationally. These nations' rise is linked to substantial economic growth and significant investments in the packaging, automotive, and transportation industries by the adhesive and sealant companies.
- In Europe, a major demand for adhesives and sealants is observed from automotive and aerospace applications. Adhesives and sealants are used in large quantities in mechanical fasteners, spot welds, and other applications such as interiors, exteriors, and engine compartments. This demand is expected to increase further with the rising need for low-carbon emission vehicles.
- In the US, the paper & packaging application segment is anticipated to register the highest CAGR of 4.9% from 2022 to 2030. Over the forecast period, rising demand for bio-based goods is anticipated to boost the demand for hot melt technology and support the growth of the paper & packaging industry.
- The market leader adhesive and sealant companies such as Henkel AG(Germany), H.B. Fuller (USA), Sika AG(Switzerland), Arkema (Bostik)(France), and 3M (USA) dominate the market, together, they account for nearly one-third of the entire market. Of this, Henkel accounts for 16%-18%, while the remaining is secured by other adhesive and sealant companies like Dymax Corporation (USA), Mapei Corporation (USA), and Pidilite Industries Ltd., (India) along with other medium-sized enterprises.
- The product launch was the major strategy adopted by key market entities. For instance, H.B. Fuller launched innovative new products as a part of its growth strategy. In January 2023, the company launched Swiftmelt 1515-I, its first bio-compatible product in India, the Middle East, and Africa. In 2022, 3M developed "3M Medical Tape 4576," an acrylate-based adhesive. Dow also introduced DOWSIL Silicone Hot-Melt Adhesive Cartridge, designed to provide excellent adhesion.
- In recent years, leading adhesive and sealant companies have either partnered with or acquired their competitors. For example, Arkema increased its footprint in regions where its presence is negligible. In July 2022, it finalized the acquisition of Permoseal, located in South Africa. The acquisition complemented Bostik's offerings in the region while strengthening its position in the South African market, indicating Arkema's strategy to expand its business segments by acquiring well-performing companies. During the same period, Dymax partnered with Krayden as a new distribution partner. Through this partnership, Dymax aimed to expand its reach to critical OEM manufacturers in the aerospace, defense, and EV industries for its light-curing technology.
- The adhesive and sealant companies are also expanding their geographic reach to offer their adhesive expertise and deep industry knowledge, along with strengthening their global footprint. Henkel (Germany) and other international adhesive and sealant companies are now expanding in the Asia Pacific region by setting up new plants and expanding their adhesives and sealants portfolio in this region to serve the emerging market. It was observed that around 40% of the company's revenue in 2022 was from emerging markets.
The Full List
|Company||Headquarters||Year Founded||Holding Type|
|3M||Saint Paul, USA||1902||Public|
|Adhesives Research||Glen Rock, USA||1961||Private|
|Avery Dennison||Mentor, USA||1935||Public|
|H.B. Fuller||Saint Paul, USA||1887||Public|
|Huntsman||The Woodlands, USA||1970||Public|
|Parker LORD||Cary, USA||1924||Public|
|Wacker Chemie||Munich, Germany||1914||Public|