Designed especially for web applications and in-client server architectures, that typically provide rich functionality independent of the central server (fat/thick client), BIRT, is a prominent software project by a not-for-profit, open-source community: Eclipse Foundation. The major data type held is XML and numerous others can be assessed as well including - web services, POJOs, SQL databases, JFire scripting objects, etc.
The BIRT pricing is available on a pricing model of subscriptions starting from $29.99/ month, which is the best value offered on a 12-month commitment. However, the BIRT pricing every month costs $39.99. Subscribing to a custom configuration for a 6-month commitment would cost $34.99/ month.
A free trial is available without any requirement of a credit card. The demonstration showcases some of the most noticeable and advantageous features through a Flash presentation. Although there are some limitations over the full range of features for which the pricing models need to be explored, this easy demo helps you analyze the suitability of the product and value for money.
It is a full-fledged platform for report delivery, with a lot of features, like:
- Key Differentiators
- Open Source
- Data Blending
- Report creation
- Versatile Output Formats:
- HTML ( both basic and paginated)
- ODT,CSV,DOC, XLS, PPT, PDF, ODP, Postscript, SV
- Report Development Environment
- A highly customizable workspace
- Used to design and develop a report
- Integration of BIRT’s run time part into the application
- Stand alone Java application integration
- Deploying as a part of a servlet
- Embedding with RCP application
- Additional features
- Libraries for sharing mutual report elements
- Rapid development templates
- Web deployment