Best Digital Signage Software
Digital signage is the digital format of showing information, advertising, and other relevant contents using digital signs and symbols with the help of displays using technologies such as LCD and OLED. Best Digital signage Software deliver customized media playlists to one or more digital screens, enabling content creation software to display relevant information on the screen. These digital signage screens can be mounted on walls, ceilings, or can be integrated into freestanding displays and kiosks.
Top 10 Digital signage Software
- Zoom Rooms
- Raydiant Digital Signage
- Sprinklr Modern Engagement
- Rise Vision Digital Signage
- ScreenCloud Digital Signage
- TelemetryTV Digital Signage
The growth of the digital signage software market is driven by factors such as increasing adoption of digital signage products in the commercial vertical, rising infrastructural developments in emerging countries, growing demand for 4K & 8K display, and increasing technological advancements in display products.
In emerging economies, shopping malls and retail are growing significantly, and thereby contributing to the growing demand for small- and mid-sized retailers. The trend is clearly heading toward integration of digital concepts in the store design and digital window displays. A few retailers use smart technology that integrates the signage content to the sales database that helps track the current inventory, especially of promoted products, in real-time. As infrastructural developments in verticals such as retail, corporate, hospitality, education, transportation, sports, and entertainment are gaining pace, the emerging economies are propelling the growth of the digital signage market.
Increasing trends of online/broadcast advertisement inhibit the growth of the best digital signage software. Furthermore, developing robust equipment suitable for harsh environmental conditions is a major challenge of the digital signage market. However, factors such as growing smart signage applications, increasing retail space worldwide, rising demand for context-aware signage, and increasing transition of traditional stores to smart stores in the retail vertical can generate huge opportunities for the best digital signage software market in the near future. Consumers are demanding connected experiences to meet their changing shopping behaviours. As they make multiple interactions across different shopping channels such as online shopping, click and collect services, they want more from traditional stores. Retailers can provide real-time insights with the help of digital signage to influence the shopper experience. Moreover, retailers are using various software including digital signage in their stores to enhance business efficiency by more effectively connecting with customers by displaying the most relevant contents in the store.
Digital signage software market is driven by factors such as increasing adoption of digital signage hardware and software products in the commercial vertical, growing retail space across the world, and rising infrastructure expansions in emerging countries. For the digital signage software market, enhancing innovations in display technologies such as OLED, electronic paper display (EPD), and quantum dot LED (QLED), and increasing demand for cloud-based software with dynamic content creation are among the opportunities for digital signage providers. However, rising trends of online/broadcast advertisement is a major factor restraining the growth of the digital signage market. In this case, the major issues are fluctuating average selling price of display panels and developing equipment suitable for all weather conditions.
This section describes the mapping of various players in the best digital signage Software market. These players have been analyzed on the basis of 2 major factors: business strategy excellence and strength of product portfolio.Based on their performance in these predefined criteria, the vendors have been placed into 4 categories: visionaries, innovators, emerging companies, and dynamic differentiators. The top 25 players in the digital signage market have been evaluated in this report.
The visionary leaders in the digital signage software market are Samsung Electronics, LG Electronics, Sharp (Foxconn), NEC Corp.; Panasonic Corporation; Sony; and Barco.
AU Optronics (AUO), Broadsign International, Cisco Systems, and Signagelive are the dynamic differentiators in the digital signage software space.
The major innovators in the digital signage software include Shanghai Goodview Electronics, Scala, Exceptional 3D, Daktronics, Christie Digital Systems, and BenQ Corporation.
E Ink Holdings, Omnivex Corporation, Deepsky Corporation, Delta Electronics, Intuiface, Retop LED Display, and Unilumin are among the emerging players in the digital signage software space.
Increasing adoption of digital signage products in commercial vertical
The market for digital signage displays is growing owing to much digital signage software being installed in commercial places such as retail stores, hospitality, and other public spaces for advertisement, product information, instructions, wayfinding, entertainment, and so on. Retailers can create an enriching shopping environment by implementing best digital signage software to entice information-driven consumers to pause, look, and purchase products and services. Best digital signage software is the optimal solution for creating an exciting and enhanced shopping experience; with the help of digital signage, retailers can project images and videos to showcase products for capturing viewers' interest and to create custom and dynamic content. Moreover, retailers can manage complex display requirements with ease and deliver the right content when and where it is needed. Further, they can provide relevant information with an intuitive, interactive interface, which helps retailers increase their customer base. The use of digital signage software in commercial applications allows businesses to efficiently and effectively reach and interact with customers, thereby attracting new business opportunities, increasing brand awareness, improving operating efficiency, catching the attention of passersby, promoting new products, and enhancing customer experiences.
Growing technological advancements in display products
Displays are essential for a digital signage software; with the advent of new technologies, such as OLED and electronic paper display (EPD), the display industry is expected to grow at a rapid pace. Along with the increased adoption of LED and LCD displays in the digital signage Software space, OLED, transparent display, and electronic paper displays (EPD) are expected to exhibit high growth because of the high demand for displays in the digital signage software marketplace. Samsung Electronics (South Korea), LG Electronics (South Korea), and Sharp (Japan) are a few industry giants that design and manufacture advanced display technologies including the recent OLED display. For instance, in January 2017, LG Electronics (South Korea) introduced “Crystal Sound OLED,” a display panel containing an embedded sound system. It offers direct sound from the characters on the screen as they speak, instead of the off-centre sound from speakers. Furthermore, the company introduced wallpaper OLEDs, paper-thin 65-inch and 77- inch UHD OLED displays for TVs that can be mounted on walls.
Moreover, direct-view fine-pixel LED displays are being developed by various companies such as Leyard, Sony, and Samsung. The technology is being adopted by various display manufacturers owing to which premium display products are offered by companies for signage. The market for these displays is becoming more competitive, and the growth of these displays is also expected to be relatively higher than that of any other display technology in the digital signage market. Technological advancement is propelling the growth of the digital signage software market as it helps fulfil the requirements of delivering content to increase customer base across verticals.
Micro-LED is an emerging display technology. RGB pixels can emit light and colours directly without the need for colour filters or backlit unit. Micro-LEDs can have fast response time and allow for the development of resolution displays with high brightness at low-power consumption. The potential for thinner, lighter, and brighter display with improved colour gamut, fast response time, and longer battery life makes micro-LED the ideal display technology for HMDs.
Rising demand for 4K&8K displays
4K and 8K displays propel the growth of the digital signage Software with features such as sharp pictures, colour range, resolution, and motion portrayal. These displays provide the right level of picture quality required in digital signage in retail and other applications. There is an increasing demand for displays having 4K and 8K resolution technology as this technology is expected to enhance the view experience of customers by providing them with video and picture quality that is twice as good as HD. 8K display resolution offers over 16 times the resolution of 1080p full HD, both horizontally and vertically.
4K and 8K digital signage displays show a detailed image even when a customer is at close proximity to the display. These high-resolution displays are ideal for indoor and outdoor applications including retail advertisements and corporate offices. Factors driving the demand for 4K display in digital signage are the increased availability of 4K content and decreased costs of displays, as well as media players supporting the content. These factors will increase the adoption of this technology and its benefits. The 4K display is expected to grow in applications such as education, healthcare, sports, and entertainment.
Increasing infrastructural developments in emerging countries
Demand for digital signage software remains high in emerging economies owing to the positive economic environment. The service vertical in all major markets of emerging countries is growing faster than any developed market. In emerging economies, shopping malls and retail are growing significantly, and thereby contributing to the growing demand for small- and mid-sized retailers. The trend is clearly heading toward integration of digital concepts in the store design and digital window displays. A few retailers use smart technology that integrates the signage content to the sales database that helps track the current inventory, especially of promoted products, in real-time. Many retailers have deployed technologies such as Beacon and augmented reality (AR) with digital signage. These technologies offer opportunities for retailers to leverage big data analytics to deliver relevant and meaningful messages right at the point of purchase by considering past purchases or preferences of customers that enhance their shopping experience. Furthermore, the education vertical is gaining importance in emerging economies as most of the developing countries hope to become a knowledge-based society. Infrastructural developments in industries such as retail, corporate, hospitality, education, transportation, sports, and entertainment are gaining pace in emerging economies, thereby helping the digital signage market to grow at a rapid pace.
Increasing trends of online/broadcast advertisement
Increasing expenditure by leading retailers and product suppliers on an online and broadcast advertisement would hinder the growth of the digital signage Software market in the future. The number of individuals using the Internet is growing rapidly and advertising companies are targeting more audiences via online promotions. This high growth in an online advertisement may eventually lead to less expenditure on physical and stationary advertisements, including digital signage, by the advertisement companies.
Increasing investment in online/broadcast advertisement by the companies may negatively impact the digital signage market growth. This will eventually lead to less requirement of digital signage Software products for advertisement purpose. Online/broadcast advertisement has impacted the best digital signage software for a long time in the past; however, the impact is very low and is expected to be the same during the forecast period. Internet advertising has contributed a significant growth in global ad-spend and has stimulated innovation in the market. Businesses across the world are set to spend a significant amount on internet advertising rather than physical/stationary. The growth in online advertising serves as a potential threat to the best digital signage software market.
Growing smart signage applications
Smart signage transcends the conventional viewing experience of customers through realistic content, enables businesses to deliver refreshing content that engages, informs, and entertains their consumers, which, in turn, leads to a high level of consumer satisfaction. Smart signage is among the most demanding and growing platforms for information display and is a medium of promotion among large masses at the same time. Various applications in different industries have been encouraged owing to the user-friendly systems developed through R&D over a period of time.
The customer experience is an important factor for brands in every industry, and the demand for customer data analysis is rapidly increasing. It is critical to know the customer’s needs, reaction, and behaviour about a product, especially in shopping spaces; this information can be captured by using AI-based smart signage based on customer’s interaction with the signage display, as well as the purchases made and billing history. This information and analysis on the same can reduce the company’s marketing efforts by a large margin.
Increasing retail space worldwide
The rise in the buying power of consumers is the backbone of the retail industry; shopping malls and retail spaces are growing significantly across the world, thereby contributing to the growing demand for digital signage in the near future. Countries worldwide are witnessing huge growth in retail space, which, in turn, create significant opportunities for digital signage software providers in the coming years.
Rising demand for context-aware signage
With the changing strategies to attract customers in the retail industry, context-aware signage/smart signage is becoming a powerful tool in retail spaces. This is because the digital media on screens located at public places reach out to a large number of customers. Instead of searching for an assistant to know whether the product is available or not, the display screen provides information on product availability. Smart signage makes the experience interactive by showcasing the products and related information, and thus reduces the required manpower. Context-aware signage can be beneficial in increasing sales by keeping customers updated with the latest offers and making brand awareness. Owing to this, many retail companies are investing in the digital signage software to make their brand competitive in the market and increase their revenues.
The increasing transition of traditional stores to smart stores in retail
As consumers are demanding connected experiences to meet their changing shopping behaviours, retailers provide real-time insights as well as enhance business efficiency by connecting with customers by displaying most relevant content in the store with the help of digital signage.
Best digital signage software help transform traditional bricks-and-mortar store into a smart store by delivering targeted promotions, relevant information, enhanced store environment, real-time store data, and other online data. Moreover, many traditional stores are transforming to smart stores to maintain the existing customer base and attract new customers with the help of digital signage and smart signage, thereby creating significant opportunities for digital signage software providers in the near future.
Developing robust equipment suitable for harsh environmental conditions
Best digital signage software are used in indoor and outdoor applications. In outdoor applications, signage in the form of kiosks, billboards, and signboards are used. Apart from the rain, snow, dirt, and extreme temperature conditions affect the performance of the digital signage, which is turning out to be a major challenge for signage manufacturers to create a prototype for outdoor applications. These digital signage are required to withstand the harsh environment, which might degrade its functionality. Further, these displays should be designed with a protective coating to protect from physical damages, such as scratches, caused by using hard objects by customers to operate the touch panel on the screen.
Moreover, the brightness of these screens should be more than the screens used in indoor applications. These screens should feature auto-brightness functionality for various lighting conditions so that it clearly readable and viewable, as well as tempered with security glass having AR and UV filters or coating to guarantee optimal protection against solar beams. Manufacturers of best digital signage software need to consider the design of displays with fully ruggedized casing to protect the display from accidental damage caused due to the rigour use made by the public. However, implementing such features raise the product and maintenance cost. Therefore, developing robust equipment, especially display, is considered a major challenge.
Digital Signage Software, By Offering
The best digital signage software market based on offerings is further segmented into hardware, software, and services. The hardware includes various components such as displays, media players, projectors, and mounts and accessories, whereas software is installed in hardware offerings through which content is created and managed. Services are meant for post-sales and maintenance issues according to customer requirements. The software required for digital signage encompasses edge server software, content management system, and others. Users generally opt for digital signage services such as installation services, and maintenance and support services.
The hardware devices required for digital signage Software include displays, media players, projectors, mounts, and other accessories. The display segment is further segmented into technology, type, resolution, size, and brightness. Displays lead the digital signage market for hardware devices during the forecast period.
Displays are used in best digital signage software for both indoor and outdoor applications such as commercial, infrastructural, and institutional. Based on technology, the display has been segmented into liquid crystal display (LCD), organic light-emitting diode (OLED), direct-view large-pixel LED, and direct-view fine-pixel LED. New technological innovations for digital signage such as 3D screens and electronic paper displays are still in the development stage. LCD display currently dominated the global digital signage software for displays, while direct-view fine-pixel LED displays is projected to grow with the highest pace in the coming years owing to increasing outdoor application and growing signage in sports and entertainment industry where high picture quality is required.
Rising demand for high picture quality, attractive design, and high specification-based displays are driving the growth of the digital signage hardware market. Newer technologies such as fine-pixel LED and OLED are expected to drive the growth of the digital signage software for hardware devices during the forecast period. High brightness, attractive and thin panel design, and low power consumption are among the benefits of this technology when compared with other available technologies. OLED technology was recently commercialized in the market for various digital signage applications. Major companies manufacturing digital signage displays include Samsung Electronics (South Korea), LG Electronics (South Korea), Sharp (Japan), and NEC (Japan).
- Displays, by technology - Different technologies such as LCD, direct-view fine-pixel LED, OLED, and direct-view large-pixel LED are used in digital signage. The rising demand for displays with high picture quality and attractive design is driving the growth of the best digital signage software for hardware devices. Newer technologies such as fine-pixel LED and OLED are expected to drive the growth of the said market during the forecast period. High brightness, attractive and thin panel design, and low power consumption are among the advantages of these technologies over other available technologies. OLED technology is already penetrating the digital signage market for hardware devices.
- Displays, by resolution - Resolution refers to the total number of pixels or individual dots that a panel is created with. The quality of video or photo depends on the number of pixels. These pixels are generally denoted in a format of multiplication of the number of horizontal pixels and vertical pixels (horizontal pixels × vertical pixels). The commonly available (referred) resolutions are as follows: 8K (7680×4320), 4K (4096×2160)/(3840×2160), WQHD/2K (2560×1440)/(2048×1080), FHD 1080p (1920×1080), HD 720p (1280×720), qHD 540p (960×540) and SD 480p (720×480)/480p (640×480).
- Display, by brightness - This section details the advantages of displays by considering brightness as a factor of measurement. Currently, displays with a brightness range of 0–500 nits are widely used in the market; however, high growth is expected for displays with a brightness range of 500–1,000 nits and above during the forecast period. High-brightness displays are mostly used for outdoor advertising, concerts, sports events, or matches as well as for indoor advertising in shopping malls and airports. High-brightness LED walls are used in indoor concerts, fashion shows, corporate offices, and retail shops. Features such as ultra-high brightness, high contrast, and low power consumption are driving the growth of high-brightness displays in the digital signage software space.
A digital signage media player is a small footprint PC, which can be mounted behind a digital signage display or placed inside a rack mount. Digital signage media players comprise a variety of components that power the displays, such as CPU, motherboard, RAM, storage, and operating system. Like any media player, the CPU processes the data with the help of the operating system. The operating system then operates the player’s software that allows users to make a playlist of different media types, split the screen layout, and control the media schedule. Each media player has the ability to control one or more screens, depending on the model used.
A media player is among the foremost requirements of a best digital signage software. Each site in the digital signage network requires a media player to display the content. The cost incurred for media players depends on several components such as hard drive, processor, random access memory (RAM), and graphics card. Customers can change the features of the device according to their requirements. The increasing engagement of customers with digital media and readiness to pay for content, driven by improved consumer experiences and convenience, has spurred the market for media players. Many digital signage players, such as LG Electronics (South Korea) and Samsung (South Korea), have released the System on Chip (SoC) displays; as a result, the market for media players is expected to grow with a slower rate in the near future. These SoC displays consist of an inbuilt media player and works on software of the display manufacturer or third-party software. For instance, in October 2016, Samsung (South Korea) launched its P-series standalone SMART signage, Tizen-powered premium displays. These displays, including PHF (700 nit brightness) and PMF (500 nit brightness) models, are the first to feature the upgraded 4th gen Samsung SMART Signage Platform (SSSP 4.0). These displays come with an inbuilt media player and work on the Tizen platform, which is based on HTML implementation.
Projectors offer a unique opportunity in digital signage. These can be used to create signage much larger than traditional digital displays and deploy that signage in areas that are not suitable for a digital screen. The projectors are based on digital light processing (DLP) technology, liquid crystal display (LCD) technology, and liquid crystal on silicon (LCoS). Laser technology for projection is also being developed by a few players such as NEC (Japan) and Christie Digital Systems USA (US). The main reason to choose projectors in best digital signage software is its flexibility in producing larger images from a single projector and the ability to create unique shapes. 64 From museums to train stations, healthcare institutions, and other facilities, projectors are used in digital signage applications worldwide to facilitate interaction with customers. One common use is in restaurants, where projectors are placed above every table to display an interactive menu. With projectors installed on the ceiling, both the menu and pictures of the food are projected onto the table, which also acts as a monitor. Patrons use a touch mouse pad on the table to navigate the menu and place their orders.
From museums to train stations, healthcare institutions, and other facilities, projectors are used in digital signage software applications worldwide to facilitate interaction with customers. One common use is in restaurants, where projectors are placed above every table to display an interactive menu. With projectors installed on the ceiling, both the menu and pictures of the food are projected onto the table, which also acts as a monitor. Patrons use a touch mouse pad on the table to navigate the menu and place their orders.
Other Hardware Products
Other hardware products such as mounts, fixtures, cables, and others are offered by display vendors or third party vendors. These components are necessary while installing a digital signage system in indoor and outdoor environments. Mounts and other accessories such as cable, component shelves, and security products are required to accommodate flat panels in a landscape or portrait orientation and allow for virtually limitless configurations and tool-free, precise alignment.
This section details various software offerings used in the processing of digital signage software; these are edge server software, content management software, and other analytics-related software. The advantages of each type of software are explained in detail in the subsections below. Content management system has the largest demand, followed by the edge server software, in best digital signage software. Digital signage software are supported by software for the ease of accessibility and show desired real-time content.
- Edge Server Software - In a digital signage software, edge servers are used as intermediate servers between the CMS central server and local signage players to reduce the bandwidth demand. With edge servers and balanced bandwidth demand, the network is capable of scaling up to thousands of players in different locations under one system. As the number of displays and media players increases, the content management server needs to be relieved of unnecessary traffic. The edge server is installed as a common server to improve network efficiency. With an edge server, only one computer communicates directly with the CMS server, and every file gets fetched just once. Later, all media players and customer terminals connect to the local edge server instead of the distant CMS server. Moreover, it uses local area network instead of a broadband connection that leads to fewer disturbances. In addition, the edge server can have more storage capacity than the media players, which means more content can be available for a longer time. Edge server uses FTP or HTTP to make a connection to the content management server and request updated content. That content is either stored as files in the edge server or routed as a stream on to the media players. The content stored on the edge server may be requested by media players as needed. As edge servers can house an FTP or web server application, media players can retrieve files from the edge server as if they were communicating directly with the content management server. This also makes it very simple to introduce edge servers in best digital signage software.
- Content Management System - The content management software is a server-based application used for the transmission of multimedia from the server to various displays within varied business environments. This software plans and schedules the transmission of data based on the prerequisites. Apart from the above functionalities, the content management software can also control various media players for designing a layout, inserting a number of zones, scheduling ads, and uploading playlists to be displayed to the audience. In media players, the software can be installed on a cloud-based computing system or digital signage server. Both standalone and software as a service (SaaS) media players are controlled by the content management software. Standalone players can have inbuilt content management software for local control, which avoids the requirement of any external server. Other media players require either software as a service (SaaS) provider or server for network connection. The distribution and scheduling software, with different versions available in the market, allows users to distribute and schedule programs over a large network or on a USB flash drive. Users can select the software version based on their requirement, business environment, and existing system. This software enables users to not only distribute and schedule programs but also to monitor the system’s operational status.
- Others - Analytical tools are being increasingly used in best digital signage software for various purposes such as determining how customers interact with the network, their preference, and demography. There are various forms of analytics software classified by customer activities and behaviour. Analytics provide crucial information that helps digital signage users use the software more efficiently. Apart from assistance in targeting potential buyers, analytics provide users with feedback to take corrective actions to optimize its deployment. The use of analytics in digital signage is gaining pace and is expected to emerge in the near future in the digital signage market.
Services play a very crucial role in the growth of digital signage software. The services offered in the market are classified into installation services, maintenance and support services, and others.
- Installation Services - Installation is a type of service offered in the best digital signage software in which the solution is deployed at the customer end. Most manufacturers offer installation services once a product is manufactured and bought by a customer. These services are common for all deployments. Factors to be considered for the proper installation of displays include the orientation of the terminal and selection of proper enclosure. Furthermore, stirring fans or active cooling systems may be required in outdoor installation in high temperatures, while heaters can be used in low temperatures. The color of the enclosure has to be chosen wisely based on outdoor temperature conditions. The use of inbuilt temperature sensors is preferred in enclosures to make changes to the backlight intensity according to the outdoor temperatures. This reduces the risk of damage to displays. The quality deployment is necessary to increase the life span of the products and increase the efficiency of the solution.
- Maintenance & Support Services - This includes the services required for customers after purchasing the best digital signage software. This has a larger market scope compared with consulting and other services. The support services include the ones that are used for the entire operational life of a display to maintain the effective processing of the system.
- Consulting & Other Services - Consulting is another service offered by digital signage suppliers to advise their customers as to what kind of hardware and software would be suitable for their requirement. It involves the analysis of space, environment, display content, display size, power consumption, and viewing distance. Leyard has developed a free calculator software for customers, which suggests the type of display that will be suitable for an application based on the input feeds by the customer. Other services include recycling, refurbishing, especially in OLED displays.
Digital Signage software, By Product
Most devices manufactured in the digital signage software are based on different technologies. Each technology has its own advantages and disadvantages, depending on factors such as interactivity, brightness, power consumption, resolution, contrast, and view angle. Based on features and nature of the application, the appropriate technology is selected for the target application, i.e., interactive or non-interactive. The rising demand for interactive kiosks in retail applications is driving the growth of digital signage software. The digital signboards are expected to possess a high growth rate as they are mainly used in enterprises and commercial buildings to be noticed by a mass audience even from a distance. They are also used by companies to improve their brand value and promote their business identity on a mass scale.
A video wall is constructed by combining multiple display tiles together. The customer can combine as many screens as space can accommodate or the content can stretch to and can also add as per requirement. Video walls provide a fully immersive experience for viewers, and conventional aspect ratios or rectangular shapes can be abandoned. Controller hardware and software are becoming more sophisticated and affordable, improving the content quality in video wall applications. Unlike many consumer displays, video wall components are designed to run continuously for longer periods.
The individual display of video walls are usually LCD tiles, LED tiles, or projection cubes. LCD tiles are the cheapest option at present and provide high resolution, but they have disadvantages of a shorter lifespan, low brightness, and higher heat dissipation. Moreover, bezel lines interrupt the seamlessness of an LCD video wall, though they are getting thinner over time. However, direct-view fine-pixel LED tiles are another viable, though expensive, option for the customers. Having no bezels, direct-view fine-pixel LED is the only technology currently capable of making a completely seamless video wall with a significant resolution at high brightness.
Standalone displays are simpler and cost lesser than video walls. Being single screens, they can display an image uninterrupted bylines, gaps, or bezels; require little or no ancillary hardware or software; and are easier to install—both technically and physically. They can also offer a built-in sound system, unlike the average video wall.
Kiosks provide large and transactional digital signage information that tends to move advertising to sales and valued customer services. Generally, a digital signage kiosk consists of an inbuilt media player through which data can be updated from anywhere using digital signage software. Kiosks are deployed at shopping malls, hotels, transportation hubs, stadiums, and other public places. Kiosks are quick and effective solutions that can be used virtually at all locations. The content of the information can be easily managed and controlled remotely by administrators.
- Interactive Kiosks - The interactive kiosk has been recorded to have a number of advantages over other content delivery products. Interactive kiosks are used to convey information to visitors and customers through a touch interface. They have major applications in areas such as ticketing, cash dispensing, and information kiosks. The interactive kiosks are standalone devices that allow buyers to access and serve themselves. These are placed in strategically located areas where the footfall is high, and consumers can access information by a single touch. Interactive kiosks can help customers gain immediate access to information, which would ensure customer satisfaction and help companies reduce their operational costs. The integration of technology allows kiosks to perform a wide range of functions, evolving into self-service kiosks. Retail applications such as bill payment, self-service ordering, inventory management, and automated retail vending require kiosks for their assigned task. This increased usage in different applications has led to the growth of the interactive kiosk display market in the retail sector. The interactive kiosks are segmented on the bases of their functions.
- Automated Teller Machine (ATM) - The automated teller machine (ATM) is among the popular interactive kiosks systems used in banking and financial services. These machines are strategically placed outside the banks, retail outlets, and supermarkets where customers usually need fast cash. The ATMs provided by the banks are totally secure and the chances of frauds are minimized. Most of the ATMs use keyboards and touchscreens as input devices. ATMs allow the transfer of cash, dispensing of cash, dropping checks, and printing passbooks. These machines are also referred to as multi-function financial service kiosks. ATMs are no longer the only banking kiosks but it also includes the bill payment kiosks that prove to be a great combination of low operating costs, high consumer performance, and more reliable. These kiosks also provide security to the operation and easy proof-of-payment in the form of printed receipts. An interactive kiosk is a tool used for improving the brand image as a customer-friendly destination as they make customers aware of various personal financial strategies and also provide various services.
- Self-service Kiosks - Based on type, interactive kiosks can be further segmented into self-service. The self-service kiosk is a type of interactive kiosk that provides services to the users and is conveniently located. Interactive kiosks included in this section are information, ticketing, photo, patient self-service, check-in, and employment kiosks. The customers’ demand for speedy service and shorter wait times has driven the use of self-service kiosks in government offices. For instance, in May 2016, Air India Ltd. (India) installed self-service kiosks at various airports in India for domestic passengers. Through these kiosks, passengers can check-in and obtain boarding passes and also can take their baggage to a bag drop. These kiosks help in extended service availability, reduce customer wait time, eliminate queues, expand service capacity with multiple kiosks, thereby speeding up the check-in experience.
- Vending Kiosks - A vending kiosk is a product-dispensing kiosk that works as an all-in-one machine that handles marketing and sales, as well as receives payments. Thus, the vending machine proves to be the most complex but profitable kiosk as it a retailer in itself and can dispense any product instantly. It is also known as a point-of-purchase kiosk.
In today’s dynamic world, digital menu boards are being used by restaurant operators to promote their offerings. Digital menu boards allow restaurant operators to incorporate full-motion video into their menu display, instantly update content to account for last-minute product changes, make changes and update prices. Interactive digital screens also influence the purchase decisions of customers. These menu boards provide higher impact and deeper engagement of customers resulting in improved operational efficiency. Through these boards, food items can be displayed with eye-catching graphics or in video formats. These menu boards offer the retailer a dynamic platform to decrease wait time, cross-sell/up-sell, and improve the overall dining experience. Digital menu boards enable the updating of food items and prices with ease and can be done remotely for all outlets at the same time. Menu boards can also be used to keep customers entertained while they wait for a table. These displays eliminate recurring costs associated with printing and shipping of static materials.
- Interactive - Interactive menu boards are used to convey information to visitors and customers through the touch interface of menu boards. Best Digital signage software are likely to become a standard fixture in the restaurant and quick service restaurants (QSR) space. Restaurants worldwide have started using digital menu boards as a method to enhance their high-tech image and increase their revenue. High-brightness LCD/LED displays to act as the key to attract and engage customers by displaying vivid images. Interactive menu boards include the use of touch screen menu boards for ordering food and beverages. Customers use these self-service terminals to place their order and make payments using cash, debit, credit, or gift cards and then advance to the pick-up or dining area to receive their food. The use of these terminals also enhances the order accuracy as customers can confirm their order before placing it.
- Non-interactive - In the current market scenario, non-interactive menu boards are widely used at quick-service restaurants, airports, railways stations, and bus stations. Digital menu boards allow restaurant operators to incorporate full-motion video into their menu display, instantly update content to account for last-minute product changes, make changes and update prices for a single location or multiple locations from any location across the world. The adoption rate of menu boards is high in the retail sector. Through this, retailers can gain a competitive advantage. Advertising through menu boards not only reduces costs that are incurred on the static print ad campaigns but also helps generate additional revenue by influencing the purchase decision at the point of purchase.
Digital billboards are technologically electronic displays which are controlled by computers. These are mainly used for advertising in open places to attract pedestrians/travelers, and thus increase the number of potential customers for any product or service. Outdoor billboards come in many sizes, though the most common ones are large structures located on roads, to attract the interest of pedestrians or people traveling in public transport vehicles. Indoor billboards are often smaller than outdoor billboards and are designed to attract the attention of foot traffic (those moving past the sign). For example, small signage systems at airports, train terminals, and large commercial office spaces fit in this category. Artists can also broadcast their live performances to all displays at a venue through billboard advertising. In billboards, ads are displayed frequently as a slide show. These billboards use highly efficient and bright light-emitting diodes (LEDs) to display the content.
Other Standalone Display
Other standalone displays are general-purpose displays usually installed at public places, shopping mall, restaurant, airport, and commercial buildings. The displays are primarily used to deliver contents such as news, events, and other information that administrators want to deliver to visitors for providing updates.
Digital Signage Software, By Application
This section describes the indoor and outdoor applications where best digital signage software are used. Indoor applications involve locations with low ambient light, whereas the intensity of natural ambient light is higher in outdoor applications. There are several indoor and outdoor end uses depending on different verticals. For instance, in the hospitality industry, there are various indoor applications such as menu board, wayfinding display, and advertisement display, while outdoor applications in hospitality include rooftop displays for signage application.
Indoor signage is used at sports stadiums, indoor arenas, airports, bus/rail stations, retail stores, schools, hotels, restaurants, and so on. They act as a communication media between the customer and the service provider of various industries. Indoor signage finds significant use in healthcare, education, corporate and broadcast, and retail verticals. The growth of indoor signage is driven by the usage of immersive and highly interactive display technologies in these industries. The indoor signage is generally based on LCD, OLED, or fine-pixel LED technology and require no additional protective features to make them waterproof and operational at high temperatures. Hotel or restaurant indoor menu boards offer an updated menu solution to owners by eliminating the costs of static menu boards. Interactive digital screens also influence customers’ purchase decisions. The usage of the indoor digital menu boards helps improve operational efficiency and customer experience.
Outdoor digital signage software are widely used in transportation and public places, sports, and hospitality verticals. The penetration of outdoor advertising is expected to be high in transportation and public places during the forecast period. Billboard advertising typically represents large advertisements in high-traffic areas for pedestrians and drivers. This attracts a lot of customers as the advertisements are largely visible at express highways and high-density consumer exposure areas. Digital billboards are designed using computer software to allow outdoor advertisements. Constantly changing or blinking text creates an impact on customers and enables a wide exposure for the targeted audience. Daktronics (US) is among the leading players of outdoor digital signage displays. Outdoor digital signage software are manufactured with inbuilt cooling systems to withstand harsh environmental conditions and high temperatures.
Digital Signage Software, By Vertical
The best digital signage software have witnessed various technological advancements and registered remarkable growth over the last few years. Digital signage is among the most demanding and growing platforms for information display and is a medium of promotion among large masses at the same time. Various applications in different verticals have been encouraged owing to user-friendly systems developed by R&D done over a period of time. The best digital signage software are segmented into 4 verticals—commercial, infrastructural, institutional, and industrial.
The commercial vertical of digital signage comprises retail; corporate and broadcast; healthcare; hospitality; and government, command and control centres with applications across hotels, hospitals, quick-service restaurants (QSRs), and malls, among others. The commercial vertical includes retail and hospitality, in which customer interaction mostly takes place through kiosks and interactive screens. The print advertisement has been reduced as the digital signage systems are being targeted toward the audiences with the help of interactive content to make the message attractive. Many companies are implementing the best digital signage software to increase their sales.
The infrastructural vertical of the digital signage market includes transportation & public places and sports and entertainment verticals. Digital signage is installed at railway stations, roadways, and airports in the transportation vertical, while in the sports and entertainment vertical, digital signage is installed in theatres, stadiums, arenas, night clubs, and other venues. Digital signage software in transportation enables customers to make reservations, know prices of tickets, schedules of arrival and departure in real-time, current service status, and so on. They also enable travellers to navigate their way and advertise various brands of products required for travelling. Timely updates, along with proper information regarding schedules and timings of transport facilities, help enhance the customer experience, which is a major driving force for the growth of this market in the transportation vertical. The transportation vertical is expected to lead the market for the infrastructural vertical in all regions owing to the increased need for accurately serving a large number of customers at a time by providing real-time information.
Best Digital signage software has high demand in auditoriums of schools, colleges, churches, and many other places to spread messages, agendas, and promote various events. The institutional vertical includes education and banking, financial services, and insurance verticals. Major applications of digital signage software in the banking vertical are an in-store advertisement. The growth of the market for the institutional vertical is expected to be driven by the increased use of interactive classrooms in the education vertical.
In the industrial vertical, best digital signage software are used in manufacturing, IT, and, oil & gas verticals. A few products used in digital signage displays are industrial-grade touchscreen monitors, interactive touchscreen signage, and interactive display systems. Best Digital signage software in the manufacturing vertical can increase awareness of the workers toward their safety, improve plant communications, alert workers to supply-chain concerns, and help reduce response time for product quality issues. It also helps eliminate or reduce print publishing that would, in turn, eliminate waste.
This is armed with a set of knowledge and the demand for insightful, authentic content, it will grow as an individual or companies continue to strive to establish as leaders in the desired industry according to the interest areas.
Ditto’s wireless dual facility of screen mirroring and digital signage on the same platform makes it attractive for the users. Ditto's unique feature of transforming any device is what makes it one of the most popular signage software. It’s customization and scheduling features help users through reminders which further aids the process of creating and editing digital resources at the same place. It aids to schedules and customize signages on time to users in remote location.
The best part of Perch digital signage software is that it is has successfully integrated the concept of physical & digital marketing campaigns to retail innovators and leaders in this industry. Perch believes that by proving the service it will be magical. Perch 3D sensing technology is able to detect regarding the customers choices, they touch, pick up which triggers to bestow with delightful and informative experience at every moment which encourages them during the time of purchase. They collaborate the digital exposure with the physical marketing.
Robin with a tremendous scheduling facility takes care of all the meetings and activities within the workplace. Robin digital signage software inbuilt analytics provides insights into the workplace along with the details regarding the employee needs and their accurate solution which is unique about this software. Robin's ability to integrate with the application helps in providing updates and meeting reminders.
Screencast digital signage software defines a comprehensive way of delivering and managing audio and video content to incorporate promotions for bars, restaurants, casinos and retail businesses through on-screen entertainment and audience-engaging promotions with motion ads, top-level creative services team, demand-oriented custom solutions and the largest stock of audio and video content. Screencast digital signage software is exclusively designed for businesses to boost sales and enrich the guest experience through custom motion ads. It enables top brands to capitalize on motion graphic ads increasing brands’ entertainment ROI.
Showcase with the facilities of customizing the digital signage helps organizations to build their eye-catchy displays which could be unique to them. Showcase with the attribute of integrating with other applications helps organizations to make real-time decisions and build upon strategies which can help in completion of the project effectively. Wayfinding is an additional feature that helps in providing a workplace map that aids in navigation.